The seedings have gone largely according to the ATP world rankings, although Andy Murray and Kei Nishikori are out injured and women’s champion Serena Williams opted not to play after giving birth in September.Djokovic made a winning return on Wednesday after six months out with an elbow injury, declaring he felt “great” after beating world number five Dominic Thiem 6-1, 6-4 at the Kooyong Classic.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkIt was the 12-time Grand Slam winner’s first competitive outing since losing a Wimbledon quarter-final to Tomas Berdych last July.The Serbian former world number one had pulled out of a warm-up tournament in Abu Dhabi, raising concerns over his fitness ahead of the year’s opening Grand Slam. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson View comments Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Federer, seeded second, and will bid for his 20th Grand Slam title in the bottom half of the draw.Former winner Stan Wawrinka, who hasn’t played since Wimbledon but said he has recovered sufficiently from a knee injury, is seeded at nine.In a women’s field notably missing 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams, there appear to be many chances of a new Australian Open champion this year.Seven-time champion Williams announced last week she wouldn’t defend her title, saying she was “super close” but not quite ready to compete so soon after becoming a mother.Spain’s Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza is seeded three, while Serena’s sister Venus has the fifth seeding.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Serena says motherhood may make her better player MOST READ FILE —Serbia’s Novak Djokovic celebrates victory over France’s Gael Monfils during the men’s final tennis match at the ATP Aegon International tennis tournament in Eastbourne, southern England, on July 1, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Glyn KIRKSix-time champion Novak Djokovic will lurk as 14th seed for next week’s Australian Open in Melbourne, with Rafael Nadal seeded top, organizers said on Thursday.Nadal heads defending champion Roger Federer at the top of the men’s seedings, with Simona Halep and Caroline Wozniacki seeded one and two in the women’s competition.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew
…as water woes hit Corentyne villagesSeveral farmers operating in the 52/74 area on the Corentyne, Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) have been advised not to cultivate this rice crop. The advice has come from the 52/74 Water Users Association (WUA) in the wake of continued blockage of the Seaforth Canal which provides irrigation for 14,500 acres of rice land.President of the 52/74 Water Users Association, Ahmad Rajab said farmers have been pouring into the Association’s office on a daily basis seeking help.He said the contract to clean the Seaforth Canal was awarded to a contractor early this year, but no work was done to the canal causing farmers great worry for the first crop.However, the regional administration was able to secure a machine to clean the canal so that the farmers did not lose the last crop.“Low and behold, they gave the contact to the same contractor again and nothing has been done. Now the farmers are ready to start the crop and they can’t get any water,” Rajab told Guyana Times.Currently, the Seaforth Canal is clogged with vegetation, blocking the flow of irrigation water making it almost impossible for them to start preparation and cultivation.The issue was discussed on Thursday at the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) statuary meeting. Regional Chairman David Armogan said there are two issues that the RDC must address.He explained that at the beginning of the year, a Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) contractor was given a contract to clean the Seaforth canal but what did was very little.According to Armogan, after the intervention of the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA) to clear the canal at a cost of $5 million and the contractor was expected to recommence his contractual arranger to keep the canal clean for the rest of the year.“He has done nothing since and we are in serious trouble again because even if we start the pumps the farmers cannot get water because that is the major irrigation canal that takes water to the farmers.”The Chairman said if that canal is not cleaned within a week there will be trouble.“The crop has already started. We have to treat it as an emergency because we may well end up in a situation where farmers will not be able to plant.”Armogan noted that the second issue is that the NDIA which would normally reimburse the WUA of monies spent to clean secondary drainage and irrigation canals has run out of funds.“The secondary canals, up to last crop, were cleared and NDIA reimburse the money to the Water Users Association. This crop, the NDIA is saying to the Water Users Association that they are out of funds and they may not be able to give them the money as is necessary to pay the people to clean the secondary canals.”According to Armogan, the NDIA at a meeting last week advised that the WUA utilise whatever method is available to it in order to get the water system cleared.“The only method available to the Water Users Association now is to go after the people who are not paying and also to increase their rates. That is a policy that will have to be made by the Government. However, the Minister had said that at some point the Water Users Association at some point will have to become self-sufficient,” Armogan said, while noting that it will be a very testing time for rice farmers in the region.According to the Rice Producers Association, several decades ago, farmers were responsible for cleaning the canal in front of their rice farms, but Government has since taken over that responsibility, spending hundreds of millions of dollars to do so.Meanwhile, at Black Bush Polder and several other rice producing areas in the region, the farmers have already started to sew their paddy for the second crop. (Andrew Carmichael)
Listen to the best bits from today’s show, where Colin was joined by Micky Gray and Des Kelly, plus a host of guests at Soccerex in Manchester, including David Dein, Jens Lehmann, Michael Owen, Peter Reid and Bryan Robson.
Andy Gray believes Everton have become ‘too soft’ under Roberto Martinez and has warned the Spaniard he must rethink his strategy to turn things around at Goodison Park.The pass-based attacking style favoured by Martinez has failed to yield results in the Premier League this season, with the Merseyside club sitting 12th in the table after Sunday’s defeat to Newcastle.And Gray feels the Toffees, who have shipped 31 goals in just 19 games, require more of the defensive steel that was a hallmark of David Moyes’ reign.“I’m a little concerned, if I’m honest,” the club’s former striker told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“Roberto is maybe trying to soften Everton a little too much. The stats don’t lie, and Everton’s defending is nowhere near as good as it used to be.“The one thing I remember under David Moyes was Everton were one of the toughest teams to play against in the Premier League. They were extremely tough to break down, they were extremely well organised, and they just seem less so to me now.“A little bit too much football for me, a little bit too soft for me, and I think that has been reflected in results.“I am concerned. Roberto needs to rethink his strategy because without a doubt there are problems.”
Former Arsenal winger Gervinho is on the verge of completing a move to Abu Dhabi side Al Jazira.Roma have accepted a bid from the Abu Dhabi side for the Ivory Coast international, who has spent two years in Serie A.According to Sky Sport Italia, the Italian club are set to receive £10m for the 28-year-old and additional bonuses depending on the player’s performance.Gervinho himself is set to receive a bumper pay-day after agreeing a move, with Al Jazira ready to offer him around £85,000-a-week after tax.The ex-Lille man is due to fly to the United Arab Emirates before the end of the week to put pen to paper on the deal. 1 Gervinho
Arsenal starlet Chuba Akpom 1 Hull have announced the signing of young Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom in a season-long loan deal.The 19-year-old joins Gunners team-mate Isaac Hayden at the KC Stadium, who penned a similar deal with the Championship side on Friday.Akpom has impressed during Arsenal’s pre-season campaign, with the starlet netting a cool hat-trick against a Singapore Select XI side in the Barclays Asia Trophy.Manager Arsene Wenger suggested after the game, a 4-0 win for Arsenal, that the forward would remain at the Emirates this season, but Hull have moved in to secure his services.A product of Arsenal’s youth academy, Akpom has made nine first-team appearances for the club and has also had loan spells at Brentford, Coventry and Nottingham Forest, for whom he featured on seven occasions at the end of last season.Hull boss Steve Bruce has now made four summer signings following the previous captures of Ryan Taylor and Sam Clucas, while the club is expected to complete the permanent signing of defender Moses Odubajo from Brentford.Bruce also remains hopeful of landing Odubajo’s Brentford team-mate Andre Gray in time for Saturday’s opening Championship clash with Huddersfield at the KC Stadium.The Tigers had a reported £4million bid for Gray rejected last week.
18. Burnley (14th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 39.37 per cent 20 20 5. Manchester United (fifth in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 57.28 per cent 15. Crystal Palace (16th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 45.61 per cent 19. Sunderland (20th in the league and already relegated) have have recorded an average possession total of 39.32 per cent Modern football has led many of us to believe that possession is at the heart of any club’s success on the pitch.But Leicester City’s triumph last season started to change the way – certainly followers of the Premier League – we view the importance of keep-ball.So Chelsea might be top of the table this term, but how do their possession stats match their position in the league?Find out the possession total each Premier League team has recorded this season by scrolling through the gallery above. 20 17. Leicester City (ninth in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 41.77 per cent 20 16. Hull City (18th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 44.92 per cent 20 3. Tottenham Hotspur (second in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 60.3 per cent 2. Liverpool (third in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 61.57 per cent 1. Manchester City (fourth in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 64.67 per cent 20 20 13. Stoke City (13th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 46.65 per cent 20 20 20. West Bromwich (eighth in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 37.14 per cent – click the arrow above, right, to discover each Premier League team’s possession stat for this season 10. Middlesbrough (19th in the league and already relegated) have recorded an average possession total of 47.6 per cent 20 20 12. Swansea City (17th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 46.85 per cent 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 11. West Ham United (12th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 46.85 per cent 20 20 9. Bournemouth (11th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 51.01 per cent 7. Southampton (10th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 54.02 per cent 8. Everton (seventh in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 51.57 per cent 6. Chelsea (first in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 54.23 per cent 4. Arsenal (sixth in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 58.73 per cent 14. Watford (15th in the league) have recorded an average possession total of 46.3 per cent
Any Club Members who wish to be included in the draw for the limited number of All Ireland Final tickets which will be made available to Gaeil Fhánada are asked to contact Fiona Shiels by Friday 9th September, non members will not be considered.Lotto: No Jackpot winner last week. Numbers drawn: 8, 11, 16, 19 & 20, bonus 14. €100 winner as Gerard Kerr, X Roads, and€50 winner was Conaire McCarron, An Mhoirinn. Next draw for Jackpot of €2500 takes place in Paddy Jacks. Numbers and winners from the draw in the Village Inn omitted last week: 4, 7, 8, 15 & 20, bonus 4. €100 winner Annie McConigley, Doaghbeg and €50 winner was Gerard Kerr, XRoads.All Managers and mentors are asked to start compiling their Year Book contributions, please forward to PRO Maire Callaghan or Gareth Crossan preferably by email as soon as possible. Check the Club Website fanadgaels.com for latest news/commentGAA: FANAD GAELS GAA NOTES was last modified: September 6th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: FANAD GAELS GAA NOTES
Registration at 1.00 Race at 2.00Entry €5 Adults -€2.00 childrenMoney collected goes to Club óige Chnoc Fola and the the Community Centre. CNOC FOLA 5K THIS SUNDAY was last modified: April 13th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CNOC FOLA 5K THIS SUNDAY
Killybegs GAA News:This week’s Kilotto numbers were 1,15,27,29 and there was no winner.Next weeks Kilotto Jackpot will be €3,350! 1 match 3 winner, Georgina Neill who won €60 Kilotto sellers for the month of January are the ladies football team.Bingo Snowball wasn’t won tonight. Next weeks Jackpot will be at €1,150 on 45 numbers.Club Membership for 2015 is as follows:Juvenile membership (U16) 15 euro Student membership (U21-U18) 20 euroAdult membership 40 euroFamily membership 70 euro (2 adults and unlimited children U16)Membership is also available to purchase online:https://www.myclubfinances.com/memberships_cart.asp?LL_ID=467&intMF_ID=1388 If you attend regular club games within the county of Donegal (league and championship – including the county final) – you could gain free admission if you purchase Club Donegal. Club Donegal is a card that enables you to enter all adult games within the county of Donegal. The card can be purchased in various ways:Adult membership + club Donegal card = 170 euroFamily membership + club Donegal card = 200 euroFamily membership + 2 club Donegal cards = 330 euro The club Donegal is a great way to save money, whilst supporting your local GAA club. Please don’t hesitate to contact myself, Susan or Carmel if you have any further queries on this.Membership is now available from the Club Registrar, Susan McGing on 0863935968Please vote for Killybegs Gaa to win a Netting Direct €6,000 make over! You can vote once every 24 hours http://a.pgtb.me/wngkxN/hbqxJ?w=31280937&e=82117753Thank you to everyone who supported the sale of the recent National Club Draw tickets in the Killybegs area. All money raised will remain within the club. The support of the local people was fantastic once again. THANK YOU.PITCH CLOSED! Pairc Eamonn O Beirne is closed for all training, matches and shooting, with NO exceptions, until further notice, due to pitch renovations! Signed – Parks CommitteeGAA NEWS: KILLYBEGS GAA PITCH REMAINS CLOSED UNTIL RENOVATIONS ARE COMPLETED was last modified: January 20th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAAKillybegsNoticesSport