India reports biggest 24-hour rise in virus cases as lockdown eases

first_imgIndia’s airlines will be allowed to resume flights with about a third of operations as of Monday, but only on domestic routes and under rules that are among the strictest in the world.”This surge in cases has happened after movement of people has been partially allowed. But if you see overall, this is a much lower exponential trajectory as compared to the rest of the world,” said Giridhar Babu, a professor of epidemiology with the Public Health Foundation of India.”The only question now is: How do you reduce mortality? Do we have the capacity? The answer seems to be yes,” Babu added.India’s contagion hotspots include the capital New Delhi, financial hub Mumbai, Modi’s home state of Gujarat, and the southern state of Tamil Nadu.”Our COVID wards have been full for the past week, and we are expanding capacity to enable us to admit more patients,” said Dr. Lancelot Pinto, a respirologist at the P. D. Hinduja Hospital in Mumbai. India registered some 6,000 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Friday, the country’s biggest jump in 24 hours, as New Delhi eases a nationwide lockdown and airlines prepare to resume some domestic flights.The country of 1.3 billion people reported a total of over 118,000 confirmed cases on Friday, a roughly 5% increase from Thursday’s figures. Included in the total are 3,583 deaths.Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended a lockdown, begun on March 25, to May 31, but relaxed rules in areas with lower numbers of cases and allowed state governments to issue their own guidelines on some matters. Topics :last_img read more

Governor Ganjar leads poll on potential candidates for 2024 race, surpassing Prabowo

first_imgCentral Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo has topped the list of potential candidates for the 2024 presidential race, a recently published survey has shown, as his electability rating has surpassed that of Gerindra Party patron and Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto, who previously led the poll earlier this year.The survey, conducted through phone calls from July 13 to 16, revealed that 16.2 percent of 1,200 polled respondents from across the country said they would vote for Ganjar if the election was held now, while 13.5 percent said they would vote for Prabowo.Ganjar’s electability rating increased by 7.8 percent in the July survey compared to a similar survey conducted by the pollster in February, while Prabowo’s electability rating dropped by 8.5 percent. However, he highlighted that the gap among Ganjar, Anies and Prabowo in the July survey could not be seen as significant given that regional leaders currently had more “electoral incentives” amid the COVID-19 pandemic as they could show off their policies on managing the crisis.The phenomenon also explained Prabowo’s electability drop, Burhanuddin said, since his position as defense minister did not give him direct control over the pandemic response.In a recent exclusive interview with The Jakarta Post on June 26, Ganjar said he was surprised to hear that his electability rating had risen in the past few months, adding that he did not want to think about the race yet considering the current situation.”I honestly feel uncomfortable. [It is] as if I am preparing myself for the presidential race. No, I’m not.”He said it would be up to the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) – of which he is a member – over whether it would nominate him as a candidate.”Although the PDI-P is a democratic party, like it or not, good or bad, everything must be decided by the party’s chairwoman […] She must have calculated and observed everything that we, the members, do,” Ganjar said, referring to PDI-P matriarch and former president Megawati Soekarnoputri.Topics : The February survey put Prabowo – President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s erstwhile rival in the 2019 presidential race – in a strong lead among the top potential candidates with an electability rating of 22.2 percent.Trailing behind Ganjar in the July poll was Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, who secured 15 percent of the vote from respondents.”If the presidential election was held now, Ganjar and Anies are almost on the same level. Support for both figures appears to have increased over the past two months,” Indikator Politik Indonesia executive director Burhanuddin Muhtadi said on Tuesday in a virtual press conference.Read also: Electability of governors Ganjar, Ridwan rises amid COVID-19’s ‘electoral incentives’: Surveylast_img read more

Pension SuperFund signs up second client in £300m deal

first_img“Having submitted our first transaction to the Pension Regulator for clearance earlier this year, it is excellent to see the faith, which trustees increasingly have in our particular model of defined benefit pension consolidation.“The £300m deal will be a very fitting first addition to the SuperFund, and represents a very significant increase in funding for the members concerned.”While there is no formal framework for regulation of commercial consolidators such as the SuperFund and Clara-Pensions, both companies have been working closely with TPR and government departments to ensure they are aligned with likely future rules, expected in the forthcoming Pensions Bill 2019.Clara-Pensions has yet to announce its first transaction, but has previously stated that it is in discussions with more than 60 schemes that collectively represent £15bn in liabilities. Defined benefit (DB) consolidation vehicle The Pension SuperFund has signed an exclusivity agreement with a £300m (€328m) pension scheme, its second deal since opening for business last year.If the transaction completes, the scheme – which was not named in the announcement from the SuperFund – will transfer from its sponsor to the consolidator, subject to approval from the Pensions Regulator (TPR). The SuperFund’s first deal, with an as yet unnamed pension fund, was submitted to TPR for clearance in May, IPE understands.Luke Webster, the CEO of The Pension SuperFund, said: “The Pension SuperFund is pleased to announce that we have signed the exclusivity agreement on our second deal.last_img read more

Ireland OKs Helvick, Dunmore interest reassignment

first_imgDunquin South (FEL 3/04)Also on Thursday, Providence said the acquisition of Atlantic Petroleum’s 4% equity in FEL 3/04, located in the southern Porcupine Basin, has closed, following satisfaction of all conditions.As a result, the operator Eni has 36.913% interest, Repsol holds 33.557%, Providence has 26.846%, with Sosina holding the remaining 2.684%.It is worth reminding that Eni took over operatorship of FEL 3/04 following a withdrawal by ExxonMobil in August 2016.Offshore Energy Today Staff Irish government has given its approval for the assignment of Providence Resources’ interest in blocks in North Celtic Sea basin, offshore Ireland, to Marginal Field Development Company (MFDevCo) and Lansdowne.Providence said on Thursday that the Irish Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Climate Action, and Environment approved the assignment of interest equity interest in Helvick and Dunmore lease undertakings (LU), located in the North Celtic Sea Basin.To remind, a farm-in agreement between Marginal Field Development Company (MFDevCo), then known as ABT Oil & Gas, and Providence was announced on November 13, 2013. Providence then, on behalf of its partners, applied to convert that part of SEL 2/07 into a lease undertaking.According to Thursday’s statement, 10% interest in the Dunmore LU went to MFDevCo, and 10% of Providence’s interest in the Helvick LU went to Lansdowne Celtic Sea Limited. Another 10% interest in the Helvick LU was awarded to also MFDevCo.On completion of the associated farm-out agreements, the revised equity participation in the Dunmore LU will be: Providence with 65.25% as the operator, Atlantic Petroleum with 16.50%, Sosina Exploration with 8.25%, and MFDevCo with the remaining 10.0%.For the Helvick LU, the revised equity participation will see Providence have 56.25% and operatorship, Atlantic Petroleum with 16.50%, Sosina Exploration with 8.25%, Lansdowne Celtic Sea will hold 9%, and MFDevCo will hold the final 10.0%.last_img read more

CAF Confederation Cup: Rangers lose to AS Pelican in Libreville

first_imgRelatedPosts Cleric urges Christians to avoid ill-gotten wealth to attain greatness in life It’s unfair to discuss 2023 election now, opposition tells Enugu PDP After 13 years of enmity, Enugu ex-Governors in closed door meeting Rangers International Football Club of Enugu on Saturday lost 1-2 to Gabonese club, AS Pelican, in the first leg of their CAF Confederation Cup, first round clash in Libreville. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the hosts raced to a two-goal lead early in the game before Nnamdi Egbujuo reduced the deficit for the Flying Antelopes before the break. Rangers fought hard to get the much needed equaliser but fell short against a resolute Pelican defence. The Enugu club side will need to score at least a goal in the reverse fixture without conceding to scale through to the next round. The second leg will be played at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu on September 29. NAN also reports that the Flying Antelopes are looking to become the first Nigerian club to win the CAF Confederation Cup.Tags: CAF Confederations CupEnugu StateFlying AntelopesLibrevilleNnamdi Egbujuolast_img read more

‘Perfectly fine’ Messi back in training as FC Barcelona return looms

first_imgRelatedPosts Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Lionel Messi was back in full training with his teammates on Monday after FC Barcelona coach Quique Setien declared him in “perfect” condition to start Saturday’s game against Real Mallorca.Messi had missed the Friday session at the club’s Joan Gamper Football City with a small muscle contraction in the quadriceps of his right leg. He trained alone on Saturday, but as FC Barcelona began their first match week since the lockdown started in March, Messi trained normally with the rest of the squad.Setien told Spanish television Movistar: “Messi is not the only one who has missed a training session with some discomfort.“But it was a minor cramp and we have controlled it. He is perfectly fine and will have no problem (to face Real Mallorca).”La Liga returns on Thursday when Sevilla host Betis.League leaders FC Barcelona are away to Real Mallorca two days later, with Real Madrid hosting Eibar Sunday and entering the round two points behind. dpa/NAN.Tags: FC BarcelonahealthLa LigaLionel Messitraininglast_img read more

Fulham complete Stekelenburg deal

first_img Stekelenburg, who has been capped 54 times by Holland, becomes Fulham’s fourth signing of the summer following deals for Sascha Riether, Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta, and is pleased to be linking up with Jol once again. “It’s good that I’ll be joining Martin again,” he told the club’s official website. “He knows my capabilities very well, so I am just looking forward to joining up with the team in pre-season and enjoying some time with them prior to the new season starting. “I am very happy to be joining Fulham and to have everything sorted out so early in the summer, so I can really focus on preparations for playing in the Barclays Premier League next season.” Jol, who guided Fulham to 12th place last season, believes his newest signing will adapt well to English football. “Maarten Stekelenburg is a fine quality goalkeeper who I know well from my time working with him at Ajax and, of course, as the Dutch international goalkeeper I have always had an additional interest in his career,” he said. “I am sure that he will do well here at Fulham in the Premier League. He is a player of great quality and technical ability whose distribution and ability to react quickly and read the game is exceptional; he will be a fantastic addition to the talented team of keepers that we already have. “I am delighted that he was so keen to come to join us and am very happy with the way that the summer is shaping up in terms of our signings, so on the whole I’m ever so pleased.” Press Association Fulham have announced the signing of goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma on a four-year deal.center_img The 30-year-old Holland international has long been linked with a move to the west London club, where he will be reunited with compatriot Martin Jol, who was previously his manager at Ajax. The deal casts further doubt over the future of long-term Fulham number one Mark Schwarzer, who may now look to leave the club before the start of the new season. last_img read more

Mumbai win dramatic IPL final to complete hat-trick

first_imgMITCHELL Johnson took two wickets in the final over as Mumbai Indians beat Rising Pune Supergiant by one run in a dramatic Indian Premier League final to claim a record third title in Hyderabad.Krunal Pandya top scored with a 38-ball 47 for a Mumbai side that could only post 129-8 after Jaydev Unadkat (2-19) set the tone with two wickets in an over in the Maharashtra derby.Ajinkya Rahane made 44 after being dropped on 14 and captain Steve Smith (51) looked set to get Pune home for a first IPL crown at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, but Mumbai edged it to regain the trophy.Pune only needed 11 off the last over, but Johnson (3-26) dismissed Manoj Tiwary and Smith after the first ball went for four, while Jasprit Bumrah (2-26) and Lasith Malinga also played key roles as Mumbai snatched it.Mumbai were beaten by Pune in the first qualifier, but the Indians delivered when it mattered most to pick up the INR 15 Crore in prize money and become the first side to win the IPL three times.Unadkat got Pune off to a dream start, dismissing Parthiv Patel (4) and taking a magnificent low catch off his own bowling when Lendl Simmons (3) misjudged one that stuck in the pitch three balls later in a magnificent third over that went for only two runs.Mumbai were 8-2 when Rohit Sharma (24) arrived at the crease, but the India batsman injected some much-needed impetus by taking 16 off an over from Lockie Ferguson before Smith ran Ambati Rayudu (12) out with a superb direct hit.Rohit was also on his way when Shardul Thakur took a magnificent catch in the deep to give Adam Zampa (2-32) a first wicket, who tossed one up for Kieron Pollard to hit his first ball into the stands.Krunal produced some much-needed late fireworks, hitting two sixes before he was out from the last ball of the innings from Dan Christian (2-34).Rahul Tripathi (3) was given out leg before when the ball was going over the top of the stumps and Krunal gave Rahane a life by putting down a simple catch off Malinga.Rahane took the role of aggressor with Smith biding his time on a tricky surface, but Pollard dived forward to catch the opener off the bowling of Johnson to leave Pune on 71-2 in the 12th over.The brilliant Bumrah saw the back of MS Dhoni (10) after Smith executed the switch hit expertly to hit Krunal for six in the same over and Pune were left needing 33 from four overs.Smith lifted Bumrah for six over long-off in the penultimate over and ensure 11 runs were needed to win off the last over, but Tiwary and Smith were caught in the deep and Christian could only take two off the final ball from Johnson with four needed to win.(Omnisport).last_img read more

U.S., Canada need to open eyes to Pan Am Games

first_imgBy Steve KeatingLIMA, Peru (Reuters) – The United States and Canada need to open their eyes to what is happening outside their own borders if the Pan American Games is to get the kind of attention it deserves, the secretary general of Panam Sports said yesterday.Labelling the Lima Games as the greatest ever, Panam secretary general Ivar Sisniega said the lack of interest for the two-week multi-sport event in North America was because of narrow thinking.“If you think the American continent is just USA and Canada then you’re right there is (a lack of interest),” Sisniega told Reuters yesterday following a mid-Games press briefing.“Some countries … maybe need to open up to what happens in the world and not be so involved with what just happens (at home).” Sisniega pointed out that considering 6 600 athletes from 41 countries are competing in Lima, the region is more than just the U.S. and Canada.But even a quick glance at the medal table yesterday reveals how significant the U.S. (108) and Canadian (64) participation is as the two nations have won a combined total of 172 medals.Despite being one-two on the medals table – when total number of medals won by each country is taken into account – the event is largely ignored by mainstream media in both countries. Canadian Press has sent one reporter and a photographer to provide on-site coverage while the country’s national broadcaster CBC is live streaming the Games but has no on-air programming planned. LOW PRIORITYCoverage by U.S. outlets is equally thin with no major newspapers accredited and broadcast rights holder ESPN focussing on Spanish language content. It is not just the media but athletes themselves, who in many cases have made the Pan Ams a low priority.Competitions have offered up a mixed bag in terms of quality.Cuba sent an elite line-up of world and Olympic champions into the boxing ring and took eight gold medals, a silver and a bronze from 10 weight classes in the men’s competition. The only gold won by the U.S. was in the women’s competition thanks to Oshae Jones. The U.S. will send out mostly B teams when the athletics and swimming races get underway next week but are still expected to dominate both competitions.Over the two weeks athletes are competing in 39 sports, many of which offer qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, something Sisniega says the Panam Sports Organisation needs to do a better job in selling. “We have spoken to NBC and major television networks and it comes down to how many of the sports are Olympic qualifiers and that is something we are going to push really aggressively over the next four years,” said Sisniega.“We have spoken to USA and Canada about these issues; it’s a perception that they have that the Games are not of a high quality.“These are the highest quality Games in history so we are hoping to move forward on this and the U.S. and Canadian media understand how big these Games are and the level of athletes is high with over 100 Olympic medallists. “It is certainly a challenge we have for the future.”Pan Am Games officials, however, have more immediate problems to deal with, particularly transportation.The facilities built for the Games are largely first-class but navigating through Lima’s chaotic traffic is a challenge.The press briefing, called yesterday to discuss the first week, barely touched on any concerns and instead turned into a 90-minute self-congratulatory pat on the back that dismissed problems as “small issues”. While Sisniega conceded there were problems, he put a positive spin on any such issues.“Are there issues? Sure,” said Sisniega. “Any Games of this size where you are moving a village, people get sick, people even die during Games because it is like you are in a whole town and anything can happen,” he said.“In that sense, compared to previous Games, things have been pretty normal.“If you look at the pluses and minuses, the pluses outweigh the minuses by a lot. “If we were caught off-guard, it was that we didn’t think they (the Games) were going to be this good.”last_img read more