WINDSOR, Ont. – Health officials in southwestern Ontario say two people have died from West Nile virus in the last week, the first deaths linked to the infection in the area since 2012.The public health unit in Windsor, Ont., says the two cases are unrelated but gave no other details about them.It says the deaths are a warning to the public that West Nile continues to be a risk until temperatures drop below the freezing point, though most people infected never develop symptoms.Ontario has seen by far the most human cases of West Nile this year, with the province’s public health agency reporting 37 confirmed or probable cases as of Sept. 2.The latest data collected by the Public Health Agency of Canada, meanwhile, shows only one confirmed human case outside of Ontario as of Aug. 19 — someone in British Columbia who showed no symptoms.There were 104 human cases of West Nile confirmed last year, though the federal agency says others likely went undetected.
LANGLEY, BRITISH COLUMBIA, B.C. — The RCMP say five people were injured after a series of hit-and-runs in Langley and Abbotsford, B.C., on Wednesday night.None of the injuries are considered life-threatening, and the RCMP say many of those who were taken to hospital for treatment have been released. A dog was killed in one of the Langley incidents.A 24-year-old man from Abbotsford has been arrested by police, who allege he was in breach of a recognizance over a condition that he was not be in a vehicle without the registered owner. The first incident was reported just after 8 p.m. involving a small pickup truck that police say was stolen in neighbouring Abbotsford.They say it was found on fire about 2 1/2 hours later on Highway 1.Shortly after, police say a car was stolen and the suspected was arrested in that vehicle.The RCMP is asking for anyone with dashboard cameras to review their footage to see if they may have recorded the pickup truck. The Canadian Press
Agadir- France’s Moroccan-born minister of Education Najat Vallaud Belkacem has been reportedly planning to file a formal legal complaint over a hoax letter that circulated widely on social media networks supposedly sent from her office urging French towns to offer weekly Arabic-language classes, according to media reports.The letter, complete with fake letterhead and signature, suggests that the minister demanded an official from the Direction des Services Départementaux de L’Education Nationale (DSDEN) to contact town halls to offer a voluntary hour per week to discover the Arabic language.“I strongly advise you to give the green light to this activity which aims at breaking down the linguistic barriers that our children could encounter in the near future,” reads the letter signed in the name of the Moroccan-born minister. Najat Vallaud Belkacem has been subject to harsh criticism from the French far-right for her Moroccan descent following her appointment as the first woman to hold the office of education minister.Weekly newspaper Minute described her as a “Moroccan Muslim” and her appointment a “provocation”.In its response regarding the letter, the ministry said that it does not fall within the Ministry’s preview to offer extra-curricular activities, as these are organized at a local level.The forgers made a series of errors, notably with the description of the ministry itself, which they called the “Ministry for National Education”, instead of the full title of “Ministry for National Education, Higher Education and Research,” the same source went on to add.
TORONTO — The Latest on Canada (all times local):12:30 p.m.Canada’s ambassador to China says his message to Chinese authorities is that it’s not in their interest to arrest people and use them as bargaining chips.Envoy John McCallum told reporters on Friday that his top priority is to win the release of two Canadians detained in China and to save the life of a third.China detained former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig and Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor in an apparent relation for the arrest of top Chinese executive Meng Wanzhou in Canada on Dec 1. China also sentenced another Canadian, Robert Schellenberg, to death Monday in a sudden retrial of his drug-smuggling case.The arrest of Meng on Dec. 1 at the request of the United States has created a growing diplomatic rift between China and Canada. Meng is the chief financial officer of Huawei and the daughter of its founder.The U.S. wants her extradited to face charges that she committed fraud by misleading banks about Huawei’s business dealings in Iran.___10 a.m.Canada’s public safety minister said Friday that the country won’t be deterred by Chinese pressure after China threatened reprisals if Huawei was banned from supplying equipment for 5G networks.There are accusations that the telecom giant is controlled by China’s ruling Communist Party or is required to facilitate Chinese spying. The U.S., Australia, Japan and other governments have imposed curbs on use of its technology.Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said Canada has been abundantly clear it will not compromise national security.Goodale said: “It’s a difficult challenge but we’ll not be deterred by what we believe to be right and what we believe to be in the interests of Canada.”The Associated Press
Orangina crée de faux comptes Facebook pour doper sa communicationLa marque de boissons gazeuses est accusée par certains internautes d’avoir créé de faux profils Facebook pour commenter ses propres billets et faire monter le buzz sur la Toile. Est-ce là un manque d’éthique vis-à-vis de ses consommateurs ?Voici le “bad buzz” ou mauvaise pub qui agite et secoue le web. Orangina, pourtant réputée pour sa communication décalée et drôle aurait créé de faux profils Facebook pour commenter rapidement et de façon soutenue ses posts sur le réseau social et ainsi développer un engouement pour la marque.C’est le site Coups de Pub qui a pointé du doigt, dans un long billet parsemé de captures d’écran, cette pratique douteuse. Ils mettent à jour ces faux profils, expliquant que ces derniers sont très reconnaissables dans leur expression, ouverts depuis peu et n’ayant qu’une occupation : animer la page d’Orangina.”Outre le fait que le ton et les termes utilisés par ces comptes sont très similaires, vous verrez distinctement qu’ils fonctionnent en circuit fermé : ils se likent entre eux, se partagent entre eux, …”, font-ils remarquer, ajoutant que la marque utilise dans cette opération la tromperie et “qu’elle attache de l’importance à leurs opinions, alors qu’elle ne cherche qu’à en donner l’illusion.”Orangina a rapidement réagi au tollé provoqué par ce billet, repris en quelques heures sur tous les réseaux sociaux, indiquant “ne pas être au courant de telles pratiques, et y être par ailleurs opposée”. Cette animation par faux profils ne serait donc pas le fait direct de la marque, mais plutôt celui de l’agence chargée de gérer sa communication en ligne, Fred & Farid, précise Clubic.Une pratique vivement critiquée par les agences… Certaines marques ont par le passé joué à ce jeu dangereux qui consiste à alimenter les réseaux sociaux de faux avis de consommateurs vantant ses produits, elle s’y sont pourtant toutes cassé les dents, les internautes étant de plus en plus vigilants face à ces pratiques marketing fallacieuses.À lire aussiMaladie de Charcot : symptômes, causes, traitement, où en est on ?We Are Social, une agence concurrente, estime que le cas “interpelle parce qu’il décrédibilise un métier fondé sur l’honnêteté et la transparence”. Sa directrice générale France, Sandrine Plasseraud, résume la stratégie supposée du community manager responsable sur le blog de l’agence : “optimiser la remontée des statuts de la marque sur le fil d’actualité des fans en créant de l’engagement dès leur publication via de faux profils / faux commentaires”.mais assumée par l’agence de com d’Orangina Point d’orgue de cet affaire, le community manager responsable des activités d’Orangina sur les réseaux sociaux a réagi sur son fil Twitter, et assume totalement ses actions: “Génerer 250.000 fans avec 5 profils et avoir plus d’argent pour des dotations. Si je dois assumer c’est sans problème.” Il faut savoir que Facebook augmente la visibilité en première page d’une publication en fonction de sa popularité et aussi des commentaires et du nombre de ‘j’aime” postés quelques minutes après son apparition. Orangina compte 300.000 fans, on peut comprendre qu’un petit coup de pouce peut avoir de rapides effets sur la popularité d’une campagne. Mais l’éthique de cette profession encore naissante, elle, en prend un coup.Le 17 février 2012 à 10:50 • Maxime Lambert
Flamengo director Marcos Braz confirmed their interest in signing Gabriel Barbosa and revealed they are waiting to hear back from Inter MilanThe 22-year-old forward has impressed back at his homeland in Brazil on loan at Santos with 27 goals this year.But now Barbosa’s loan stay at his old club has ended and he’s since returned to Inter.However, the Brazil international appears to have no future at the San Siro with West Ham and Flamengo having been linked with moves for the highly-rated attacker.Now Flamengo have confirmed their interest with Braz awaiting a response from the Nerazzurri.Maurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.Although it remains to be seen whether they can persuade Inter to sell him for less than the €33.5m the Italian’s forked out for him two years ago.“Barbosa is a player under contract,” Braz told Fox Sports.“We’re waiting for Inter, but this is a very complicated negotiation.”Barbosa has never started for Inter in the Serie A and he’s only managed the one goal in 10 appearances.
Share @BBCBreaking on Twitter145 separate wildfires being tackled by firefighters in Portugal, 32 of which are serious.Wildfires in Portugal killed at least 27 people, injured dozens more and left others missing in the country’s second such tragedy in four months, officials said Monday. In neighboring Spain, four deaths were reported.The fatalities in Portugal occurred in densely forested parts of central and northern part of the country after blazes broke out in “exceptional” weather circumstances, Civil Protection Agency spokeswoman Patricia Gaspar said.The situation was still “critical” because of unseasonably high temperatures, Gaspar said. But cooler, wetter weather is approaching, which may give some respite to firefighters tackling the blazes.In addition to the 27 dead, 51 people have been injured, including 15 in serious condition, Gaspar said. She also said that an unknown number of people were still missing.Later, Portuguese media reported the death toll had risen to 31. Civil protection officials couldn’t immediately be contacted to confirm the new total.Portugal has been especially hard-hit by wildfires this year, including one that killed 64 people in June. An independent investigation into those fires found last week that authorities failed to evacuate villages on time. The fire destroyed about 29,000 hectares, (nearly 72,000 acres).A prolonged drought and mid-October temperatures of more than 30 C (86 F) have fueled the recent spate of blazes.Across the border in Spain, some 105 fires were reported in the northwestern Galicia region. Authorities said that four people had died, two of them trapped in a car. Thousands of people have been evacuated.Regional president Alberto Nunez Feijoo blamed arsonists for causing most of the blazes. He said “Galicia is fed up” with being attacked by arsonists who make the most of weather conditions, adding that some purposely tried to cause most damage by targeting urban areas.Feijoo says 15 of the fires are posing a risk to towns. He added that 90 percent of forest fires each year in Galicia are intentional.He told reporters: “All of Galicia is weeping this morning for our razed hills, but especially for the loss of human lives.”Many of the fires were close to inhabited areas. Schools were closed Monday and at least 20 planes were joining 350 firefighting units in tackling the blazes. Light rainfall was expected to help extinguish the flames.Spanish Prime Minister Marian Rajoy, who is from Galicia, traveled to the region Monday to visit an emergency response center.___Aritz Parra in Barcelona, Spain, contributed to this report.
Black Women’s Health Imperative, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit has launched the first chapter of the “My Sister’s Keeper” initiative at Howard University and Spelman College.The program is intended to provide information on a variety of topics including sexual violence, reproductive health, and sexually transmitted diseases, geared towards African American women.“It’s important that we give young women the tools needed to protect themselves and their sisters, and that they understand that they must be invested in good decision-making—their own, that of their partners, and that of policy makers—around their sexual health and rights,” Linda Goler Blount, president and CEO of the Black Women’s Health Imperative, said in a statement. “We also want young women to know that their sexual health and rights intersect with the reproductive justice movement, started by Black women in 1994, that melds health justice to justice in education, housing and transportation, among many other factors.”According to the organization, sexual violence, unintended pregnancy and risky sexual activities are among the leading causes of college dropout among women.Dr. Beverly Guy-Sheftall, the Anna Cooper Professor of Women’s Studies at Spelman College, said she believes that the partnership will highlight the importance of addressing the particular needs of African-American women.“The Women’s Research & Resource Center at Spelman College has had a long connection with the Black Women’s Health Imperative, which began in 1983 at their first national Black women’s health conference, during which 2,000 women traveled to the Spelman campus for a historic gathering,” she said. “We are thrilled to host on campus the launching of their equally historic My Sister’s Keeper initiative which promises to be as transformative in the lives of Black women.”“It is fitting for the launch to occur at Spelman, the oldest college for women of African descent in the world,” she added. “For over a century and a half, Spelman has played a significant role as our sister’s keeper locally, nationally, and globally.”Black Women’s Health Imperative is a nationally-recognized organization dedicated to improving the health and wellness of African American women and girls physically, emotionally and financially.
Stay on target Hands-On: Monster Energy Supercross is More Exciting Than Soft DrinksCosplay Gallery: New York Comic Con 2017, Part 2 Over the past three decades, the Final Fantasy series has delivered too many beloved characters to count. You just get attached to them as you role-play with your party for dozens of hours. That’s why the Final Fantasy fighting game spin-off Dissidia made so much sense. Sometimes you want to see these brave anime bozos bash each other without taking turns.The first two Dissidia games were developed by Square Enix itself for the PlayStation Portable, but now the series is hitting Sony’s cutting-edge home console (after a stint in Japanese arcades in 2015) thanks to the Dead or Alive masterminds at Team Ninja. At New York Comic Con I tried to wrap my mind around Dissidia Final Fantasy NT for PlayStation 4.The newest Dissidia pits two teams of three against each other. But it’s not a versus game like the upcoming Dragonball FighterZ. Instead, players control a single character while teammates are controlled by AI or other people. Also, instead of battling on a cramped 2D plane, characters leap around luscious fields in all directions. To compare it to another Dragonball fighting game, it’s very Budokai Tenkaichi.AdChoices广告On paper, Dissidia’s controls are fairly intuitive. Press one or two buttons to do a basic attack, a stronger attack, and a meter-draining super attack. Shatter the summoning stone (like a Smash Bros. Small Ball) and summon a powerful friendly and familiar face like Ifrit or Bahamut. The open space also allows for expanded movements options like dashing, triple jumping, changing targets, and putting up a shield all around you.However, Dissidia’s rules aren’t immediately obvious. In fact, I had to confirm some details with other journalists after I was done playing. For example, your basic attack doesn’t actually do damage. It raises your level and makes your bigger attacks that ≤em≥do≤/em≥ do hurt foes hurt even more. Basic attacks can also extend combos since you also have to work around generous invincibility frames. That’s a cool system, a good way to honor Final Fantasy’s role-playing roots, but it was poorly expanded in this demo.Meanwhile, the cluttered UI made it tough for me to pay attention to the action while also staying aware of my own health and available super moves. And I was never quite able to consistently tell whether I was winning or losing. Knocking out all three members of a team obviously ends the match, but a single downed teammate can respawn. So do points also play a role? Again, I’m sure there are answers, but for all their depth, fighting games are typically pretty good about being somewhat understandable at a moment’s notice in the arcade.At the very least, Dissidia is a beautiful mess. The game brings classic Final Fantasy characters, some of which debuted on the 8-bit NES, to photorealistic life. And they all feel appropriately different from each other in terms of look and playstyle. I would never confuse Kefka’s menacing bounce with Terra’s graceful spellcasting. Sephiroth and Squall and Lightning and Kain all handle their swords very differently. Tidus jumps well in his board shorts.With more time, I’m sure I would get a better handle on Dissidia Final Fantasy NT. Maybe the story mode will make me a pro while also talking about crystals or whatever. But when the game launches January 11, don’t expect to immediately know what you’re doing, even if you like what you’re seeing. Now when are they adding Prompto to the game?Let us know what you like about Geek by taking our survey.