Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett says tourism remains the most vital source of earnings and economic activity for the majority of Caribbean islands, with region-wide revenues estimated at more than US$27 billion.“Tourism is the single largest generator of foreign exchange in 16 of the 28 countries in the Caribbean, with the sector receiving the most by way of foreign direct investment (FDI),” he pointed out.Bartlett said the Caribbean has a higher proportion of total employment and percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) derived from tourism than any other region in the world.It is estimated that one in every four persons is employed in tourism-related activities, and the sector accounts for 41 per cent of all exports and services in the Caribbean and 31 per cent of all GDP.“These economic indicators confirm what most of us as key players and stakeholders in the sector already know; that is, unmasking the full economic potential of tourism remains at the heart of the region’s quest to promote sustainable and inclusive growth,” he said.Bartlett, who was part of a discussion panel at the 47th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) in the Turks and Caicos Islands on May 25, noted that despite early forecasts for a downturn in tourism performance for 2016, the Caribbean witnessed an unprecedented growth of 4.2 per cent in visitor arrivals.“The region welcomed a historic 29 million visitors in 2016, over one million more than in 2015,” he informed.Bartlett said that tourism growth in the region outpaced the global average of 3.9 per cent. The data also indicate that cruise tourism in the region is booming, as passenger arrivals grew by an estimated 1.3 per cent to approximately 26.3 million in 2016.
Guyana and India have signed a cooperation agreement for the construction of the Indian Arrival monument that collapsed last year.Natural Resource Minister Raphael Trotman said that the David Granger administration had made a mistake into believing that the design plan which it inherited from the previous administration would have worked. In April last year, the monument collapsed, while under construction.Too heavy for swamplandPublic Infrastructure Minister David Patterson said that a soil test carried out showed that the 17-ton statue was too heavy to lay on the swamp-land. He said the area is known to be the ground of a former cane field.Trotman said that the issue was raised in February with Indian government officials when he and Minister of Foreign Affairs Carl Greenidge visited that Asian country.He said the Indian government has committed to providing an engineer, architect and sculptor for the project.Indian PMm to visitIndia’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to visit Guyana before the end of this year and, Trotma said the government hopes the monument could be completed by then.He said all relevant documents have already been sent to India and are being examined by the experts there.Patterson said “hindsight is 20/20 vision” and the government is now looking to have the works expedited although he could not disclose the cost of the project.
Ms Janet Douglas, CMG, British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on Thursday announced an expansion of the UK’s overseas network, with the opening of nine new diplomatic posts across the Commonwealth. Three of these nine posts will be in the Eastern Caribbean, with new British Resident Commissioners’ offices in Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. These posts, along with the existing Resident Commissioner’s office in St Lucia, will form an expanded network of UK representation in the Eastern Caribbean, under the auspices of the British High Commission in Barbados.In addition, there will be new UK posts in the Bahamas, Lesotho, Swaziland, Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu. “As a Commonwealth family of nations, it is in our shared interest to boost prosperity, tackle security issues and clear up the environment… After we leave the EU, Global Britain will remain outward facing, open for business and a champion of the rules-based international order,” said Johnson in announcing the opening of the new posts. British High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Janet Douglas, said that the expansion was part of a wider initiative to increase the breadth and depth of UK diplomatic presence across the world. “I am delighted that we will be opening new offices in the Eastern Caribbean and are aiming for them to open in early 2019. This decision reflects our historical links with the region, and the UK’s commitment to strengthening our existing excellent relations. These new missions will be innovative and agile, and will improve the UK’s engagement with, and support for the Eastern Caribbean,” she said.
HAMILTON, Bermuda, CMC — Ronniko Burchall, Premier Division Boulevard Community Club’s 30-year goalkeeper, has died after being gunned down in what police say was a gang-related killing over the weekend.Burchall, whose last appearance for his club came just over a week ago in a 2-1 defeat against Dandy Town in a Friendship Trophy semi-final, was shot several times at point-blank range outside a Christmas party attended by around 100 guests at St David’s County Cricket Club at around 1.40 a.m. on Saturday.He died in hospital of his injuries on Sunday afternoon.Police arrested a 31-year-old man in St David’s 20 minutes later in connection with the murder, Bermuda’s fourth of 2018.Burchall had faced trial for murder and attempted murder in the past.Burchall was one of three men charged with attempted murder in Supreme Court in 2013.The men, who denied the charge, were accused of shooting another man in his buttocks outside a house in Pembroke parish in February of the previous year. Puisne Judge Stephen Hellman ordered the jury to find them not guilty of attempted murder, and the men were tried on a lesser charge of causing grievous bodily harm and using a firearm.A jury cleared all three, along with another man charged with handling a firearm.Burchall faced a murder charge in 2011 alongside his half-brother, Leroy Symons.It was alleged that they were responsible for the shooting murder of Shane Minors, who was 30, outside his home in the early hours of December 17, 2009.Both men pleaded not guilty to the charge but blamed each other for the killing during the trial.A jury cleared both men of the charges by a unanimous verdict.
Popular dancehall artiste Rygin King is currently in stable condition at a Jamaican hospital after he and two others were shot in Westmoreland on Sunday. As news of the incident spread across social media, several members of the Jamaican music fraternity went well-wishes to the artist. Jah Cure, Queen Ifrica, Beenie Man, QQ, Macka Diamond and D’Angel were among the artists that extended their courtesies and condolences to him and his family. The 25-year-old entertainer, whose given name is Mathew Smith, was travelling in a convoy of three motor vehicles in Westmoreland when one of the vehicles was involved in a collision. The occupants of the three vehicles converged along the roadway as repairs were being done to the damaged vehicle when a car drove by and fired shots widely at the occupants. Three people, including Rygin King, were shot in the incident. They were taken to the Savanna-la-Mar Public General Hospital where Rygin King’s girlfriend, one of the gunshot victims, was pronounced dead. Rygin King, according to a police report, was reportedly shot in the back, chest, and foot. The other injured man’s condition was not considered life-threatening. Up to Tuesday, reports from his team were that he had emergency surgery and was resting, but doing well. Rygin King is known for songs such as Tuff, Powerful, One Time, Amazing and Me Myself and I, among others.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF), led by President Ahmad converged at the International Conference Centre, Mohammed VI, Skhirat, Morocco, for a symposium on the development of African Football.Highlights of the two-day symposium Includes discuss on a change in date of the Africa Cup of Nations, as well as a possible expansion of the tournament to 24 teams. There will also be talks on changing the host of the next edition to Morocco‚ who are set to take over the 2019 finals from Cameroon. Morocco opted out of hosting the AFCON in 2012 due to break out of the Ebola virus in most part of Africa.African football legends aren’t left out as they dialogue about legacy for players and how to help young African footballers better prepare for life after career. Of all, that which spawns more conversations and divided opinions is the expansion of the tournament to 24-teams format and change in date of the biennial championship. Related Typical, there are pros and cons regarding every decision.The Blue Corner (Proponents) – Those in this divide believe the expansion provides an avenue for CAF, FAs, to cash in on improved financial deals once properly marketed. Also, the tournament will take on “Multi-hosting” or “Regional hosting” pattern which involves most from the 56 member associations. Even more, there are countries with an expansive capacity that have tolerable infrastructures able to accommodate a 24-team AFCON.The Red Corner (Counter) – The people on here aren’t enemies of football or allergic to change. In fairness, they just see differently. AFCON is an elite tournament which only the best on the continent should compete in and an expansion is likely to take that prestige off the competition. Also, based on the economic challenges, there are very few countries that can host a 24-team Africa Cup of Nations adequately.Transportation – it’s easy to relate the difficulty level to 75% as very few countries have direct flights to most capitals.On change of date, the leadership of CAF set up a committee to access the possibility of the competition transformation. Members made it lucid that the real actors (national team coaches and players) most of whom are based abroad were contacted to solicit opinion on a change of date for the competition. The response was near unanimous that June/July was better off than January/February regardless of the “unfavorable” weather conditions and fatigue.History: In 1957 there were only three participating nations: Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. The field grew to include nine teams for the third ANC in 1962 in Addis Ababa. The 1992 Cup of Nations expanded the number of final tournament participants to 12. The number of participants in the final tournament reached 16 in 1998.As the aphorism goes, “the only thing constant is change.” How successful this experiment would become – only time will reveal.
Former Manchester United defender, Gary Neville has expressed his opinion that dropping Marcus Rashford to the bench in place of Anthony Martial is “unfair”.Anthony Martial have been in fine form this season despite not starting any of United’s two Premier League games, scoring twice and providing an assist.Speaking to Sky Sports, Neville laid emphasis on Rashford’s work rate, saying: “Martial has been devastating when coming off the bench but there’s no doubt he’s coming on against teams that are tired.”19y 205d – Marcus Rashford is the youngest Englishman to start a major European final since Gary Mills for Nottingham Forest in 1980. Youth. pic.twitter.com/hDl0CpZG6U— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 24, 2017“He’s a brilliant finisher, his composure is brilliant. It’d be unfair for him to come in at the expense of Rashford, if you look at his work, his dribbles, his sprints.”Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho, has named 19-year-old Rashford in both of United’s 4-0 wins against West Ham and Swansea with the Englishman failing to put his name on the score sheet.Manchester United are top of the Premier League table after two matchdays, scoring eight goals and conceding none.RelatedMarcus Rashford: The Man For The Big OccasionsMarch 11, 2018In “England”Pogba Scores Brace as United Get Third Straight WinDecember 30, 2018In “England”Mourinho Is Not The Right Coach For Rashford – De BoerMarch 12, 2018In “England”
Related Tennis legend Roger Federer has won his sixth title of the year after he defeated fierce rival Rafael Nadal to win the 2017 Shanghai Masters.Federer, 36, was in scintillating form as he dispatched his Spanish opponent 6-4 6-3 in 72 minutes.For the 19- time Grand Slam winner, it was his fourth win over Nadal in 2017 and has now won five in a row to cut his deficit against Nadal to 23-15.The victory makes it career title no. 94 to move him level with Ivan Lendl in terms of Open era titles, with Jimmy Connors of the USA still ahead with 109.Speaking after he secured his second Shanghai Masters crown, Federer revealed that the ATP World Tour Finals in London at the end of the the tennis season is his priority. He said:“I’ll go home and we will work out where I play next – Basel, Paris, one of those or none, before I go to London, which is my priority.”“World number one I don’t think will happen but if I play like this maybe I’ll get close, who knows?” he further added.
Esports has had some year and it won’t be slowing down in 2017. Nor will Betradar, which fresh off the back of a deal with Dojo Madness, are prepped to have a manic year. James Watson is Head of Esports at Betradar so will be leading the charge. You can catch up with him at ICE Totally Gaming (S1-150) next month, and we took a moment to ask about his ICE experiences and routine.James Watson, BetradarSBC: How I prepare for ICEJames: Preparation for ICE this year has been pretty intense – mainly as we’ve been putting the finishing touches on our esports tournament showcase, the Betradar Esports Invitational. For those who haven’t had the pleasure of organising an esports event before, it’s not as easy as it sounds!Other than that, we haven’t really stopped preparing since ICE last year. As we sit at the intersection between betting, digital media, integrity and audiovisual content, a lot of our focus has been around positioning esports properly in each of these unique market sectors and engaging properly with our clients to pass the right messages onwards to the community.SBC: What I’m doing at ICE 2017James: After the announcement of our DOJO Madness partnership back in November, we’re looking to showcase how live betting should really be working for an esports event. We’ve invited two of the top UK Counter-Strike teams to play a series of matches throughout the show, which we will pair alongside our newly released Live Odds product. Naturally we’re inviting anyone with an interest in esports betting to come and pay us a visit at S1-150 to see what it’s all about.Our aim is to change the way the industry approaches live betting in what is still a new, and sometimes intimidating space. We share the thoughts of our clients that the current market live offer is not up to the same standards as other more mainstream sports; it’s time to put an end to that.SBC: What I’m looking forward to at ICE 2017James: ICE deserves its reputation as the most important date in the trade show calendar and I expect this year will be no different. It’s one of very few opportunities throughout the year to catch up with a lot of business friends in a short space of time, meet a whole host of new personalities and check out what’s new in the sports betting space.Naturally I’ll be casting a keen eye on anything esports related and am looking forward to the innovation that others are making in this space.SBC: Where you will usually find me at ICEJames: Typically I’ll be networking with clients and partners at the Betradar stand, S1-150, but you’ll also find me exploring the floor and checking out the new and innovative products on offer at the show.SBC: Favourite ICE memoryJames: Last year’s ICE was a pretty memorable one for me. At the start of 2016, esports was a fresh buzzword on everybody’s lips and there was a lot of excitement around the recently launched Betradar esports product suite when we took it to ICE. Not only did this open up some new friendships and business relationships, but it gave me the opportunity to showcase what esports is all about to Finnish television.SBC: Typical post-ICE activityJames: After the typical post-ICE networking drinks, most of the coming days will be spent following up on meetings and new contacts made during the show. Honestly speaking, there won’t be much time for resting as our esports products ramp up another gear moving into Q2 2017. Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Related Articles David Lampitt, Sportradar: F1 presents betting’s most sizeable opportunity August 14, 2020 Sportradar combats social media abuse with player protection solution August 17, 2020 Share Share
Paddy Power raises awareness of Missing People with Motherwell ‘silhouette’ stand August 7, 2020 Related Articles Submit Share Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Paddy Power marketing has confirmed that it has become the official betting partner of Ireland Premier Division football club Shamrock Rovers FC (Tallaght, South Dublin).Shamrock Rovers FC is regarded as Ireland’s most successful football club and has produced a number of Irish full international football players.The partnership will see the Paddy Power brand feature on the Shamrock shirt sleeve, and throughout the pitchside hoardings at the 6,000 capacity Tallaght Stadium.Paddy Power marketing will further support Shamrock Rovers community and social initiatives, as the football club promotes grassroots football within Dublin. Paddy Power, Director of Communications for Paddy Power commented on the partnership:“We are delighted to have signed a partnership with Shamrock Rovers. The Hoops are one of Ireland’s most famous sporting teams and we very much look forward to working with the club to offer its incredible fans unique content and experiences.”“Shamrock Rovers FC is delighted to add another blue chip partner to our portfolio of sponsors, and with Paddy Power we have joined forces with a renowned international brand, the biggest bookmaker in the country,” Shamrock Rovers Chief Executive Brendan Murray added.“Our partnership with Paddy Power will bring innovative content and marketing initiatives to our fans and we look forward to developing a strong relationship with them.” Share Bookies Corner: Trump Presidency sinks as US 2020 enters its 100 day countdown July 29, 2020 StumbleUpon