Howard Lake | 2 July 2013 | News AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis DEC marks 50 years of emergency appeals Tagged with: DEC 43 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis “For 50 years the Disasters Emergency Committee has done monumental work and I am delighted to sign-up and pledge that this government will continue to support you. You’ve been able to do all this because of the extraordinary generosity of the British people. A generosity that means millions around the world have lived who otherwise would have died.”DEC Chairman Clive Jones said:“The history of the DEC is one of extraordinary collaboration between major aid agencies, British broadcasters and blue chip companies. Ultimately though, all our collective achievements are really just a product of the staggering generosity of the UK public. This is above all their story and we want to take this opportunity to thank them for their extraordinary support.“The DEC was unique when it was founded because of the way it brought a whole nation together when there is a major overseas emergency. We are pleased to say that since then it is a model that has been admired and copied around the world.”The documentary about the DEC is entitled ‘A Very British Appeal’ and it will be broadcast on ITV at 10.35pm tonight. The documentary team had unprecedented access inside the DEC during the run up to the Syria Crisis Appeal and also filmed on location in Haiti. About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) is marking this 50th anniversary this year. Tonight ITV will broadcast a document about the organisation, which has launched 63 appeals, raised £1.1 billion and helped provide emergency aid to tens of millions of people around the world.The DEC was formed on 18 December 1963 to co-ordinate overseas aid and went on to launch its first appeal in response to the August 1966 earthquake in Varto, eastern Turkey. Since it was founded the DEC has launched 63 appeals, raised 1.1 billion pounds and helped provide aid to tens of millions of people around the world.Prime Minister David Cameron said: Advertisement
Funky livetronica act Turbo Suit has shared a live studio performance from their upcoming EP release entitled Back to Life, due out in early April. Back to Life consists of original music, including the title track “Back To Life.” While in the studio, the band decided to hit record on the cameras and give a little sample of what’s to come.The band is in the middle of Zoot Suit Tour with Zoogma that sees both groups in Colorado in early March and the Midwest in April, with an EP release show at The Vogue in Indianapolis, IN on April 2nd. For full dates, visit the band’s website.
Even before Election Day, armies of lawyers for the Trump and Biden campaigns were preparing for an onslaught of litigation. Mr. Trump has long pushed allegations of voter fraud without evidence and raised questions about the validity of the mail-in vote. – Advertisement – “This election won’t be resolved until a losing candidate concedes defeat and congratulates his opponent,” said Edward B. Foley, an Ohio State University law professor. “And if the candidates don’t give us finality that way, then the legal process has to give it to us.” – Advertisement – As the country waits for ballot tallies in a handful of crucial battleground states, the Trump campaign has pursued lawsuits in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and said that it would demand a recount in Wisconsin.If lawsuits and recounts persist — and if vote margins are razor thin in key swing states — it could be weeks before President Trump or Joseph R. Biden Jr. is named the winner. In some scenarios, the contest could drag into 2021, and might look something like this:
Indianapolis, In. – Public Safety Telecommunications Week originated in California in 1981 and was nationally recognized by an act of the United States Congress in 1991. In Indiana, Public Safety Telecommunications Week has been recognized statewide since 1999, most commonly by a proclamation from Indiana’s Governor.Public Safety Telecommunications Week reminds all Hoosiers that the first step in receiving help is the initial call to 911 and hearing the voice of a local city, county, or state public safety dispatcher. These are the men and women that collect the initial information to pass along to law enforcement officers in the field. Often times they are able to give immediate lifesaving directions to the caller during medical emergencies or can be the calming voice to reassure the victim of a violent crime that help is on the way. And the service of a telecommunications operator extends well beyond taking calls from citizens as they are the lifeline to the police officer, deputy sheriff or state trooper out on patrol.In short, the telecommunications operator is the two-way lifeline link taking calls for service. Whether the call comes by phone from the public, or over a radio from a law enforcement professional, telecommunication operators are one of the most important and under-recognized components of public safety.Attached with this Indiana State Police Go. Delivery news release is a PDF copy of the proclamation issued by Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb recognizing April 8 – 14, 2018 as Public Safety Telecommunications Week.
MASON CITY — The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health has found a permanent home.Health Department officials say they will be relocating to 2570 4th Southwest, next to Hobby Lobby. The department was displaced from its long-time headquarters at Mohawk Square after a roof collapse in May after a weekend of severe storms. The department was relocated temporarily to the Community Health Center downtown with other services scattered through various mobile outreach methods.The Health Department plans to open for business in their new location next Monday, with the immunization clinic and STD/HIV testing clinic being closed on Thursday and Friday of this week to complete the move
Share on: WhatsApp Nairobi, Kenya | AFP | Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion Jemima Sumgong has been suspended for four years for doping, Athletics Kenya said Tuesday.“Sumgong will serve the four-year ban as from (April 3) when she was provisionally suspended,” Athletics Kenya said in a statement.The 32-year-old tested positive for the banned blood booster EPO in an out-of-competition test by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) in her native Kenya.Erythropoietin is a natural hormone that stimulates red cell production. For a runner, injecting an artificially produced version increases oxygen absorption which allows them to run harder and faster without tiring.Sumgong, who also tested positive for a banned substance in 2012, starred at the London Marathon in 2016, defying the odds to win despite suffering a bruising fall.Steeled by her success in London, she then became the first Kenyan woman to win Olympic marathon gold, defeating Ethiopia’s world champion Mare Dibaba in Rio to confirm her status as the world’s top marathon runner of 2016.Due to her suspension she was unable to defend the titlein London this year.Earlier this year, Sumgong was one of a number of top Kenyan athletes who welcomed a new initiative to eradicate doping, which has tarnished their image, agreeing to be monitored by doctors appointed by the IAAF and Athletics Kenya. “It will be easy for us now to communicate with these doctors before we take any medicine when the need arises,” said Sumgong.The move came after an investigation by German television channel ARD and Britain’s Sunday Times newspaper last July alleging that doping was rife at the elite training centre in Iten.Kenyan athletics boss chief Jackson Tuwei warned that any athlete who failed to comply would not be selected to represent the country in international competitions.“Forty-nine athletes have been found to have violated the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) code in the past five years but were cautioned according to the laws of the land and WADA code,” he said earlier this year.Sumgong’s former training partner, the 2014 Chicago and Boston Marathon champion Rita Jeptoo, is serving a four-year ban after also testing positive for EPO.In 2012 Sumgong tested positive for steroid Prednisolone following the Boston marathon. She only served half of a two year ban after a successful appeal blamed the failed control on treatment for a hip injury.
[singlepic id=1076 w= h= float=none]There was no evidence of controversy when one of Mater Dei’s most famous graduates, Brian Williams, and his wife Jane Stoddard, attended the Save the Seraphs Gala Saturday night at the Shore Casino to benefit the high school.If anything, many people who were there were happy to see him and said his presence brought the school national attention.“Brian’s generosity and support of the Mater Dei community is fantastic and getting us closer to our goals,” said Joan Gotti of Rumson, of the Class of ’78.In his first public appearance since being suspended from NBC News, Williams was his old self. He was charming, friendly, and eager to renew friendships with former classmates, and obviously happy to be with families and friends with whom he shared many good times between 1974 and 1977.Friends and fans wanted to shake his hand and tell him they were happy he was there.Eager to acknowledge everyone who tried to crowd around, Williams, who few knew was attending the event, smiled broadly and shook his head at one alumni who held out his tie, flipped it upside down, and asked if the newscaster would sign it sometime during the night.Williams received a standing ovation after Gerry Harper, Class of ’71, whose family was the main sponsor of the event, gave a speech and then thanked Williams for coming and expressed support for him personally and “from the entire Mater Dei family.”And Williams had strong praise for his former high school. “This is Mater Dei. It’s been a very, very important part of my life,” he told The Two River Times at the event. “I had four great years here. I did not know it then, but it was the last degree I’d ever earn in my life.” Although Williams attended Brookdale Community College, he accepted an offer to pursue his journalism career before earning an associate’s degree and never continued higher education following almost immediate success on television.Before being pulled away by yet more attendees who wanted to talk to him, Williams said, “It’s a wonderful school, and it should be open for a long time, for everybody. I feel I was very fortunate I was able to go here. It was great.”Those in attendance only reaped praise on the Mater Dei alum.Williams attendance, as reported exclusively on the Two River Times website – tworivertimes.com – captured the attention of the national media because it was his first public sighting since his suspension.“The fact that so many news organizations picked it up, it gave us quite a bit of exposure,” said Little Silver resident Kathy Flood Cashes, Class of ’73. “It gave us national attention,” having Williams appear, to offer his support for his high school, she said, “for this little school that could.”Cashes hadn’t been aware of Williams’ intention to come to the event and was happily surprised. “When he walked in the door, I was like ‘Oh my God!’” she said. His support was certainly welcomed, she added.“It shows the spirit of the school,” she added.Chip Robertson, Class of ’78 who now lives in Cresskill, came south for the event.“It was an amazing gathering of our Mater Dei family,” said Robertson. “Hard times are a true test of family ties and this one is unbreakable. Special thanks to Brian Williams for his amazing show of love and support.”Joseph Buzzanco, who is now Red Bank dentist, gave Williams credit for showing his support for his alma mater, given the shadow Williams had been under for the last month.“I got to give it to Brian,” Buzzanco said. “It couldn’t have been easy for him to come out that night. Being in the business he understood it would draw attention.”And attention it did draw, which likely helped with the efforts to save the school, Buzzanco said.“Obviously, it had a very positive effect,” he said.“I think it was as much fun for him as it was for us,” Buzzanco added.Joe Rapolla was equally pleased.“It was great to see Brian there and so many of our friends willing to show our support, which further demonstrates the depth of character of the MDP family,” said Rapolla of Oceanport, Class of ’79. His band, Joe Rapolla and the Perfect Square, donated their time and performed at the fundraiser.Williams was just one who made a “generous” donation to the fund,which is aimed at helping the school to open in September as a private, Catholic institution, financially and operationally separate from St. Mary’s parish. The Seraph’s Fund will operate as an endowment fund for the school with a separate Board of Trustees overseeing budgeting and development.For more information about The Seraph’s Fund and upcoming fundraising events or to make a donation visit www.seraphfund.org. — By Muriel J. Smith and John Burton. Several Two River Times staffers also contributed to this report.
Tour de France champion Chris Froome said on Tuesday that he had escaped unhurt while having his bike written off by an impatient car driver in a hit-and-run incident.The 31-year-old three-time winner of the world’s biggest bike race, tweeted a picture of the twisted remains of his “totaled” training bike, saying he had been deliberately knocked off by the driver.Just got rammed on purpose by an impatient driver who followed me onto the pavement! Thankfully I’m okay ?? Bike totaled. Driver kept going! pic.twitter.com/o7FT4iXsAo- Chris Froome (@chrisfroome) May 9, 2017The Team Sky rider said he was “okay” after the incident that happened during a training ride near his home in the south of France.Sky News reported that it understood Froome would be reporting the incident to police.”Just got rammed on purpose by an impatient driver who followed me onto the pavement! Thankfully I’m okay. Bike totaled. Driver kept going!”, the Team Sky rider wrote, adding an emoji of hands clasped in prayer.Team Sky said the Monaco-based Froome had continued his training session after returning home to get a spare bike.Froome is training for June’s Criterium du Dauphine, his familiar warm-up event before the Tour de France between July 1-23. He is favourite to win the event for a third successive year.The incident was just another reminder of the continued perils faced by professional cyclists on the road during training rides.It occurred less than three weeks since the death of 37-year-old Michele Scarponi, the former Giro d’Italia winner, who was struck by a van while training in Italy.advertisementHis team, Astana, described the death of Scarponi, a husband and father of two, as a ‘tragedy too big to be written’.