Journalist’s detention in Benin: “Three months is enough!” says RSF

first_img May 4, 2021 Find out more Nonetheless, no judicial step has been taken to release Sossou and, worse still, no date has yet been set for the hearing of his appeal. An investigative reporter and head of production at Bénin Web TV, Ignace Sossou has been held since 20 December. He is serving an 18-month prison sentence on a charge of “harassment by means of electronic communications” for tweeting statements that a prosecutor made at a workshop hosted by the French media development agency CFI that both Sossou and the prosecutor attended. Benin is ranked 96th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. Op-ed urges Benin to end Digital Law threat to journalism News “Three months is enough,” said Assane Diagne, the director of RSF’s West Africa office. “The time has come to finally free Ignace Sossou, who just did his job by reporting statements that the public needed to know. “We are very concerned about this journalist’s fate because he continues to be held unjustly although the evidence of his innocence is publicly available. This video provides further irrefutable proof of this.” Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” BeninAfrica Condemning abuses ImprisonedFreedom of expression Benin urged to implement findings of Working Group on Arbitrary Detention March 20, 2020 Journalist’s detention in Benin: “Three months is enough!” says RSF Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Benin BeninAfrica Condemning abuses ImprisonedFreedom of expression center_img In a video released today as Beninese journalist Ignace Sossou completes his third month in detention, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates its concern about his fate and its inability to understand why he is still in prison when the evidence of his innocence has long been publicly available. Receive email alerts News The video released today by RSF highlights the evidence of Sossou’s innocence by presenting the texts of his tweets together with the audio recordings of the prosecutor’s statements. It clearly shows that Sossou quoted the prosecutor accurately and that his tweets did not in any way constitute harassment. November 11, 2020 Find out more RSF’s concern is widely shared in the region. More than 120 West African media outlets and journalists demanded Sossou’s release in an unprecedented, RSF-backed joint op-ed published on 13 March. News RSF_en Organisation News to go further November 7, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Is the pope Catholic? Ministry apologizes for appointing Muslim as acting Catholic affairs director-general

first_imgA bureaucratic blunder caused the Religious Affairs Ministry to appoint a Muslim official as acting head of the Catholic Community Guidance Directorate General, a move that drew online and offline criticism.Ministry secretary-general Nur Kholis Setiawan took the blame for the gaffe, saying he had given mistaken advice to the ministry’s top brass.“I apologize for this oversight,” Nur Kholis said in an official ministry press release on Monday night, adding that the ministry would soon appoint a new acting director-general from within the Catholic unit. Nur himself had been appointed to the role in January, replacing another Muslim official, Muhammadiyah Amin, who had filled the position since the previous director-general Eusabius Binsasi, who was Catholic, retired last July.Minister Fachrul Razi and Deputy Minister Zainut Tauhid Sa’adi had previously defended both appointments, saying that National Civil Service Agency (BKN) regulations prevented the ministry from putting a Catholic in the position.However, it turned out the problem was of their own making, stemming from a misreading of a 2019 BKN circular that states civil servants can only be appointed as acting officials in positions “at the same level or one level above” the ones they held.Ministry leadership apparently interpreted the wording in the circular to mean civil servants could only fill vacant spots that were at the same level or one level below their position. “In the Catholic Community Guidance Directorate General there is only one echelon 1 position, while the rest are echelon 2 and 3, so it is impossible for the acting head to come from the Catholic directorate general,” Zainut said in a statement on Monday, adding that the Nur Kholis’ appointment was made merely for administrative reasons.“The rule is that [the position] must be held by someone of the same level. It’s like a general’s position can’t be filled by a major,” Fachrul, himself a former Indonesian Military general, told reporters on Monday.The misstep had been heavily criticized online, with several Twitter users drawing attention to the irony of having a Muslim in charge of Catholic religious affairs.Twitter user @darmanto0802, for example, tweeted an imaginary conversation of someone who might be looking for the director-general.👩‍🦰: Selamat pagi pak, saya mau bertemu dgn bapak Dirjen Bimas Katolik👨‍🦰: Maaf bu, Bapak Dirjen sedang cuti menunaikan ibadah haji— OpaDarmanto (@darmanto0802) February 10, 2020“Good morning, sir. I’m looking for the Catholic Community Guidance director-general” the questioner asks.“I’m sorry, ma’am, the director-general is on leave to go on the haj,” comes the reply.Another Twitter user jokingly suggested that an exchange was in order.kalo gitu, dirjen bimas islam diisi pejabat beragama katolik untuk menunjukkan toleransi @Kemenag_RI 😁— NetizenID (@arisidid) February 9, 2020“The Islam Community Guidance Director-General position should be filled by a Catholic official to show tolerance,” @arisidid tweeted.Nur Kholis said he made the mistake because he had not read the BKN circular thoroughly enough and had been fixated on financial administration concerns.  “Tomorrow, on Tuesday, there will be a new appointment letter for [the position] for someone within the same working unit,” he said. (hol/kmt)Topics :last_img read more

Deputy attorney general dies in car accident on Jagorawi toll road

first_imgJakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus said the accident occurred at 2:40 p.m. at kilometer 13 of the Jagorawi toll road heading toward Cawang.“There were two victims. The driver, deputy attorney general Arminsyah, passed away at the location, while another passenger was injured and was taken to Bina Husada Hospital,” he said as quoted by kompas.com.”The white Nissan GT-R sports car was coming from the south in the fourth lane when it hit a roadblock and caught fire,” he explained. “After the fire was put out, the car was taken to the East Jakarta police station.”Arminsyah was a senior official at the AGO. He had served as the junior attorney for special crimes (jampidsus) before being appointed deputy attorney general in November 2017. He also served as acting attorney general for three months in 2019 after being appointed by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to occupy the post until a new attorney general was named. (aly)Topics : Deputy Attorney General Arminsyah, died in a car crash on the Jagorawi toll road in Cibubur, East Jakarta, on Saturday afternoon. He was 59 years old.The Attorney General’s Office (AGO) confirmed the death. AGO spokesman Hari Setiyono said Arminsyah had been officially pronounced dead at Kramat Jati Police Hospital in Pasar Rebo.His remains have been returned to his family home in Tanjung Barat, South Jakarta, and he will be laid to rest on Sunday.last_img read more