Governor Udom Kicks off 2nd Akwa Ibom Youth Sports Festival

first_imgThe council boss said he was delighted to be part of a festival that has already broken all the records in terms of grassroots sports development and the discovery of talents.He thanked Governor Udom Emmanuel for putting the festival in place and promised that “Onna Local Government will shock others this year.”He was in the company with his Local Organising Committee members.The Draw Ceremony that will officially herald the “hostilities” will be held at the Civil Service auditorium on Thursday, March 1 2018.The state’s Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Sir Monday Ebong Uko, told the media in Uyo that this year’s festival will definitely be an improvement “. . .on the fantastic event we had last year.“This year, His Excellency has approved cash awards to the leadinglocal governments who stand to cart home N10m, N5m and N2m respectively to help develop sports infrastructure in their local government councils” He said.The Commissioner also informed that over 12,000 athletes from primary and secondary schools, 500 officials are set to compete in the 20 sports events lined up for the festival.Oruk Anam Local Government are the defending champions of the Festival.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram All is now set for the Second Akwa Ibom State Youth Sports Festival billed for Uyo from March 5 through March 10, 2018.The originator of the festival and Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Udom Emmanuel, is to preside over an elaborate opening ceremony that will have the Minister of Sports Solomon Dalung as Special Guest of Honour among other distinguished invited guests.The festival torch that has gone round all the 31 participating local governments in the state, was received in Onna yesterday by council Chairman, Imo Atat.last_img read more

Djokovic falls to stunning five-set defeat to wild card Denis Istomin

first_imgDenis Istomin pulled off one of the great all-time Grand Slam shocks as the wild card and world number 117 defeated six-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic in the second round in Melbourne.In possibly the biggest upset of his career, the defending champion went down 6-7(8) 7-5 6-2 6-7(5) 4-6.World number two Djokovic lost the first set in a tie-break to the Uzbek, after an opening game which lasted a full 16 minutes.He responded by taking the next two sets but again on a tie-break in the fourth, Istomin’s big hitting proved the difference.And Djokovic was eliminated in the second round of a Grand Slam for the first time since Wimbledon in 2008 courtesy of a solitary break in the fifth. It is the earliest he has been knocked out of the Australian Open since 2006, when he lost in the first round aged 19.The Serb came into the fortnight looking to wrest back world number one status from Andy Murray but now faces seeing his big rival win in Melbourne for the first time, with Murray now the clear favourite for the tournament. The loss to Istomin is the second time in three Grand Slams that Djokovic has fallen victim to a huge shock after he lost to American Sam Querrey at Wimbledon last year.last_img read more