In milestone year, A-bomb survivor keeps up fight for nuclear disarmament

first_imgBuildings in the city had been reduced to charred piles of rubble and twisted metal, a vast expanse of land was wiped out, and corpses and burn victims with flesh peeling off their bones littered the ground. His grandfather was one of them: Tanaka dabbed a wet handkerchief to his mouth, which appeared to silently cry out for water. That was their last encounter.Three days after the hydrogen bomb attack in Hiroshima, the Nagasaki blast killed about 27,000 instantly and more than 70,000 by the end of the year. Japan surrendered six days later.For nearly 50 years, Tanaka has been speaking out for nuclear disarmament hoping that his experiences as a witness to one of the only two nuclear bombs ever to be used in conflict would serve to end their potential use.In this 75th year since the war ended, the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted some key events, such as a New York exhibition that Tanaka helped to organize.Instead, Tanaka, who served as head of the “Hidankyo” victims’ group for more than 20 years, has turned online to spread his message, with the unexpected benefit of reaching a broader audience.But he worries that time is running out.”After all the atomic bomb survivors are gone, I’m worried whether people will be able to really understand what we have experienced,” he said. Just 3.2 km from the epicenter, Tanaka was miraculously unharmed, as were his mother and two sisters. Tanaka’s father had died of illness previously.Tanaka’s grandfather, aunt and uncle weren’t as lucky.Three days after the 10,000-pound (4,536kg) bomb, nicknamed “Fat Boy”, exploded over the city, Tanaka ventured towards the epicenter to check on his relatives.It was only then that the scale of the calamity sank in. Terumi Tanaka was 13 when a US warplane dropped a plutonium bomb on the southern Japanese city of Nagasaki, on Aug. 9, 1945.Sitting at home with a book that morning, Tanaka knew instantly when his surroundings turned a blinding bright white that the massive boom was not one of the air raids he had gotten accustomed to in the waning days of World War Two.”I felt this was something terrible, so I ran downstairs and ducked, covered my ears and closed my eyes,” Tanaka, now 88, told Reuters. “And at that moment, I lost consciousness.”center_img Topics :last_img read more

“It’s Unfair” To Drop Rashford For Martial – Gary Neville

first_imgFormer Manchester United defender, Gary Neville has expressed his opinion that dropping Marcus Rashford to the bench in place of Anthony Martial is “unfair”.Anthony Martial have been in fine form this season despite not starting any of United’s two Premier League games, scoring twice and providing an assist.Speaking to Sky Sports, Neville laid emphasis on Rashford’s work rate, saying: “Martial has been devastating when coming off the bench but there’s no doubt he’s coming on against teams that are tired.”19y 205d – Marcus Rashford is the youngest Englishman to start a major European final since Gary Mills for Nottingham Forest in 1980. Youth. pic.twitter.com/hDl0CpZG6U— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 24, 2017“He’s a brilliant finisher, his composure is brilliant. It’d be unfair for him to come in at the expense of Rashford, if you look at his work, his dribbles, his sprints.”Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho, has named 19-year-old Rashford in both of United’s 4-0 wins against West Ham and Swansea with the Englishman failing to put his name on the score sheet.Manchester United are top of the Premier League table after two matchdays, scoring eight goals and conceding none.RelatedMarcus Rashford: The Man For The Big OccasionsMarch 11, 2018In “England”Pogba Scores Brace as United Get Third Straight WinDecember 30, 2018In “England”Mourinho Is Not The Right Coach For Rashford – De BoerMarch 12, 2018In “England”last_img read more