Journalist facing legal action for “public abuse of a member of government”.

first_img Follow the news on France Organisation FranceEurope – Central Asia RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders criticised as “completely absurd and anachronistic” a legal investigation opened against Judith Silberfeld, deputy editor of the monthly gay magazine Têtu, for “public abuse of a member of government”.It was all the more ridiculous “at a time when France has just done away with the offence of insulting a foreign head of state, one of the most archaic clauses of the press law,” said the international press freedom organisation.The daily Libération, in an article published on 12 December 2002, quoted deputy minister for the family, Christian Jacob, known for his opposition to the Civil Solidarity Pact Law (Pacs – a domestic partnership law that includes homosexuals) and to child adoption by homosexuals.In the article he was quoted as saying, “The new family does not mean to be born as the result of an orgy, as I have heard on television.”On 19 December Judith Silberfeld received an email, apparently from the minister’s public relations adviser, Antoine Rault. It said that this quote had been taken out of context and that the minister spent “a lot of time studying the media and television, the running of which he understood very little about”.The journalist from Têtu, “monthly for homosexuals of both sexes” published the contents of the email, which she believed to be genuine, on the magazine’s Internet site. A few hours later Rault, contacted by Silberfeld, said that the email had not come from his service. The journalist said that the minister’s adviser had “seen the funny side of it” and that she immediately took the item of the Internet site and published a correction in which she accepted that she had been the victim of a “clever hoax”.More than a year later, on 8 January 2004, Judith Silberfeld was summoned before a Paris court. She was told by the examining magistrate that she was being investigated for “public abuse”, on the basis that she had used “expressions suggesting that the deputy minister for the family did not have the intelligence that should be expected for someone in his position”. The minister himself said that at the end of 2002 he had lodged a “complaint for defamation against person or persons unknown”. News Receive email alerts News to go furthercenter_img Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU RSF_en News June 4, 2021 Find out more FranceEurope – Central Asia “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says January 22, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist facing legal action for “public abuse of a member of government”. June 2, 2021 Find out more May 10, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Husband sentenced after wife disappears at sea during honeymoon

first_imgBroward Sheriff(MARATHON, Fla.) — A British man whose wife disappeared during a honeymoon trip at sea has been sentenced to eight years in federal prison.Lewis Bennett, 42, was ordered to prison on Tuesday after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the 2017 death of his wife, Isabella Hellmann.Bennett and his wife were on a Caribbean sailboat adventure for their honeymoon in May 2017, when Hellmann mysteriously vanished from the vessel. Bennett told prosecutors that he was asleep below deck when something slammed into the nearly 40-foot vessel vessel.He said Hellmann was missing when he came above deck, but her family believes he killed her and staged the accident to cover it up.Prosecutors said he did almost nothing to try to find her. They said he had hands-on sailing experience on the open water for “extended periods of time, including a three month voyage from St. Maarten to Australia,” according to a Department of Justice statement.“Bennett is an experienced sailor who received a certification from the Royal Yachting Association in the United Kingdom as a Coastal Skipper. This training included instruction on emergency procedures such as man overboard protocols and night sailing safety,” the DOJ said in a statement. “In contrast to Bennett, his wife had not been trained in emergency sailing procedures, did not have a sailing certification and had substantially less sailing experience.”Bennett, a dual citizen of Australia and the United Kingdom, spent about 45 minutes loading a life raft with various items — including food, water, safety devices and stolen silver and gold — before he called for help, according to the statement.By examining photos and video the U.S. Coast Guard took of the catamaran before it sank, an expert hired by the FBI to help in the high-seas mystery determined Bennett’s story couldn’t be true.“Based on the analysis it does not appear the vessel sinking was caused by accidental damage. Rather, it appears the vessel was intentionally scuttled,” an associate professor of nautical architecture and ocean engineering at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy stated in court records.Bennett also pleaded guilty separately in November to transporting $5,000 of gold and silver coins, according to a criminal complaint.A Coast Guard helicopter ultimately rescued Bennett and transported him to a hospital in Marathon, Florida. The U.S. Coast Guard suspended a multi-day search for Hellman on May 18, 2017.“To date, Ms. Hellman has not been found and has not contacted any of her family. Based on all evidence, Ms. Hellman is dead,” the statement said. “Hellman’s death occurred as a result of Bennett’s knowledge of circumstances that existed that could have reasonably enabled him to foresee the threat to life to which his acts or failures to act might subject another, namely Ms. Hellman; and his gross negligence, amounting to wanton and reckless disregard for human life, in acting or failing to act as a result of that.”Bennett, who shares a 2-year-old daughter with Hellmann, had asked for a seven-year sentence instead of the eight-year maximum so that he could be reunited sooner with her. The girl, who turns 3 in July, is being raised by his parents in Scotland.“We do not want to say anything bad about Lewis, but we would like him to know how much it hurts us not to be able to see and spend time with our granddaughter and niece, Emilia, since he took her out of the country,” the family wrote in a letter obtained by ABC News last year. “Lewis knows that Isabella’s mother was very much involved in caring for Emilia from the time of her birth here in Florida until she was lost at sea.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

2-A South Media Day At Beaver High School Thursday

first_img Written by August 8, 2019 /Sports News – Local 2-A South Media Day At Beaver High School Thursday Tags: 2-A South media day FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailBEAVER, Utah-1:38 pmKanab concluded the media day presentation. They were represented by head coach Bucky Orton and student-athletes lineman Jace Reidhead, lineman Cade Szymanksi, tailback, receiver/safety Trey Chatterly and wing/safety Kyle Blomquist.Orton said he expects his squad to lead by example and wear the “Kanab Cowboy jersey” with pride.Orton told Lovell in no uncertain terms, that he will not make any changes to the Cowboys’ offensive or defensive philosophies, but expects his squad to execute better than last season.Szymanski said that the lineman and tailbacks have the same relationship with each other and one would do anything for the other, confirming their friendship is strong.Orton told Lovell that he takes the blame for what went awry last season and that he needs to do a better job.Orton says that he’s confident in his squad that when they say they care, he believes them and that staying together is paramount, saying “chemistry is the main ingredient in having a successful season.”Orton also confirmed he wants to see the Cowboys epitomize positive energy and that when things go askew, they need to take a deep breath and make adjustments.He also exhorts his team to have fun and “let it ride” as the Cowboys are playing with house money as the 7th overall pick in the 2-A South standings.Orton confirmed to Lovell that, as a coach, he prefers  being in this position anyway. In his closing statements, Orton again reiterated that he wants to get rid of the bad taste in his mouth from last season.Orton also said that “our program and our community” both have to “rise up” in regard to the Cowboys’ move up to the 2-A classification.1:19 pmThe North Sevier Wolves then addressed the media. Representing the Wolves were head coach Devin Lindley and student-athletes, receiver/outside linebacker Burke Mickelsen, quarterback Taylor Crane, running back/utility defensive player/kick returner Gabe Wilcox and tackle/defensive tackle Bransyn Christiansen.Obviously, Crane, who was injured for the majority of last season and is a rising star passer, hopes to stay healthy this season as he told this to Lovell with a smirk.Lindley says he plans to still use the spread offense this season, but “with some tweaks.” Lindley wants to keep Crane healthy and he is really “anxious to get out there.” He wants the Wolves to stay balanced on offense.Wilcox says he wants to see the offense go all out and Christiansen wants to see both the offensive and defensive lines come together and be strong.Lindley says there are several new faces on the Wolves’ offensive line, calling them “young” and has made some changes in positions among linemen who played for the program last season.To start the season, Lindley said he wants to see his team execute and score in the red zone while also enhancing their ability to convert on 3rd down. He confirms that “we are ready to go.”Unanimously, the Wolves said they are looking forward to “the Sevier Rivarly,” (the game againt South Sevier) August 16 and Lindley placed special importance on the Wolves’ hopes of beating the Rams for the first time since he became North Sevier’s head coach.Lindley also challenges his squad to get out of their respective “comfort zones,” and that he and his team needs to hold one another accountable.1:02 pmThe Enterprise Wolves were next to address the media. They were represented by head coach Andy Messersmith and student-athletes, midde linebacker-fullback Ryan Moody, quarterback/safety Tyler Hiatt, tackle/defensive tackle Jackson Watkins, slot-back/outside linebacker Robby Clark and lineman Colton Burch.Watkins said he wants to improve daily at practice and set a good example for future Wolves’ student-athletes who will represent the program.Messersmith says the Wolves are not focused on the RPI, but rather on winning as many games as they can. Watkins believes the Wolves will be playing lots of close games this season.Messersmith also says the Wolves need to control the ball offensively, and do “the things we’re supposed to be doing.” Defensively, he wants Enterprise to fly around.Messersmith cites the importance of the Wolves not looking past Duchesne, as the Eagles are the Wolves’ first opponent of the season August 16.Messersmith is also excited about having an offensive line that is actually “lineman-size.”12:43 pmThe Beaver Beavers, the de facto home team, then addressed the media. Representing the Beavers were head coach Jon Marshall, quarterback/linebacker Ryker Albrecht, tight end/defensive end/punter McCoy Smith, tackle/defensive tackle Treyson Harris and tailback/linebacker Kaleb Barney. All four of these Beavers selected as media day representatives are returning starters from last season.Marshall said he expects to see leadership from all of his media day representatives, saying “we want to improve” and that he expects his four selections to lead the way at practice.Harris, the line lineman at the proceedings, says the Beavers need to run the ball better and he and his fellow offensive linemen need to ensure this is the case.Marshall echoed Thane Marshall’s statements that the 2-A South region is a really strong region.He also confirms that the Beavers “have a lot of improving to do.” He said the Beavers are further ahead of where they were at this point last season, but there’s still lots of work to do.Harris said he’s excited to go against Canyon View, as the Falcons are a good measuring stick to see where the Beavers are at for the present moment.Marshall said the Beavers’ focal point is to run the ball and conversely, to stop the run on defense. He did confirm that Albrecht needs to pass the ball effectively, but ultimately, he believes the Beavers’ success is contingent upon running the ball.12:27 pmThe Milford Tigers then addressed the media. They were represented by head coach Thane Marshall, quarterback/free safety Bryson Barnes, slot/defensive end Zach Sherwood, defensive end/guard, Russell Walker and offensive tackle/defensive tackle Ike Keller.Marshall says, in essence, the Tigers can run practice on their own, as each of his four players who showed up on media day, have taken the reins. Barnes says it’s essential for the Tigers to get better every week.Marshall stated he was impressed with the Tigers’ dedication in improving this offseason, including diligent sessions in the weight room.Marshall, when asked about South Summit, said he scheduled the Wildcats, a perennial power, to “challenge his kids.” He also ensures that this game predates the decision to implement the RPI system into the Utah High School Activities Association.To ensure his kids are dialed in for South Summit, Marshall says that if anyone mentions another team at practice, the entire squad has to run gassers.Marshall lauds the importance of the RPI as the 2-A South is a region, as he sees it, that can benefit from its installation. He says that even Kanab, ranked 7th in the region standings, can beat anyone any given week.12:09 pmThe Millard Eagles started off the proceedings at media day. They were represened by head coach Ethan Stephenson, student-athletes, quarterback/safety Brooks Myers, slot back/linebacker Sam Marshall, tailback/linebacker Austin Burraston, slot-back/safety Shade Woodard and lineman Bryce Carson.Stephenson is entering his fourth season at the helm of the Eagles’ program and told Lovell he is “super excited” about what his team can do this season. Myers said he wants to audible a fair amount of the time this season. He cited this being his “last year” to play high school football and he seeks to do the best he can.Stephenson also said that he hopes the RPI will work itself out and calls the first two games of the season “big” as they are against 3-A schools Emery and Judge. The Eagles will also square off against bitter rival Delta August 30, another class 3-A school.Burraston said he’s impressed at how the Eagles are “gelling together” as football players from all classes are coming together. This statement was substantiated by Stephenson, who said he is impressed at how his squad looks out for one another.12:02 pmThe Beaver Beavers were voted by 2-A South coaches to win the region championship. Milford is slated to finish second. Millard was picked to finish third in the region, followed by Enterprise, North Sevier, Parowan and Kanab.Thursday, the Mid-Utah Radio Sports Network football media days concluded with the 2-A South football media day hosted by Beaver High School at the school’s wrestling room.Schools at this event included Beaver, Enterprise, Kanab, Milford, Millard and North Sevier High Schools. Parowan High School was invited to attend by event moderator Robert Lovell, as they are in this region as well, but the Rams were unable to make it. Brad Jameslast_img read more

The Disco Biscuits To Webcast Their Camp Bisco Sets For Free

first_imgThe Disco Biscuits’ annual camping festival, Camp Bisco, kicked off at Montage Mountain in Scranton, Pennsylvania, on Thursday. The festival continues through to Sunday and will see its host band perform six sets across the duration of the festival. For those of us who couldn’t make it to Camp this year, on Wednesday, the Biscuits announced that they’d be webcasting all of their Camp Bisco sets for free via their YouTube channel. The band will perform two sets today—at 5:30 pm and 9:30 pm (EST)— and three sets on Saturday—at 4:45 pm and 8:30 pm (EST), with another set (technically on Sunday) at 12:30 am (EST). You can tune into the Disco Biscuits’ YouTube channel to stream the shows, and Happy Bisco everyone!Camp Bisco Program Guide Reveals New Disco Biscuits Dateslast_img read more