According to the University’s Committee on Sexual Assault Prevention (CSAP), the majority of sexual assaults on college campuses involve alcohol. Senior design students Laurel Komos and Mia Swift decided to raise awareness of the link between sexual assault and alcohol in a creative way. For the first part of their campaign, “Proof of Consent or it’s 100% No,” they designed a tag, one side displaying a parodied image of an alcohol brand’s signature container and the other a message about obtaining consent, and tied them around alcohol bottles at Belmont Beverages in South Bend. “We did it the Friday before the [Brigham Young] game, so it was going to be a big weekend for people buying alcohol for tailgates, etc.,” Komos said. “So if you wanted to go buy a bottle of Malibu, you had this note and this message that hopefully got people to go to our Tumblr page [http://proofofconsent.tumblr.com] and interact.” The project is part of Design for Social Good: Affecting Positive Change, an elective where students learn about the social model of design, or designing for a good cause, Robert Sedlack, professor of visual communication and design and instructor for the course said. In addition to designing projects for charities, non-profits and new businesses, class members create social awareness campaigns centering on a single issue, he said. Sedlack said he and the class chose to focus on sexual assault awareness this semester after the number of sexual assault alert emails increased this fall and after Christine Caron Gebhardt, co-chair of CSAP and director of the Gender Relations Center, suggested such a project. “I like to keep the project as topical as possible,” Sedlack said. “After the shootings in Newton we did a project on gun control, and after that awful incident where fried chicken was placed in the [mailboxes of two African American student organizations], we did a project on racism. … I don’t really know what the project will be until about a week before I assign it.” Sedlack said Caron Gebhardt spoke to the class and gave them background on sexual assault prevention. Each group in the class then tackled a different aspect of the issue. In addition to tying tags around alcohol bottles, Komos and Swift put stickers in restrooms in bars, dorms, LaFortune Student Center and the football stadium and created a Tumblr page, Komos said. The campaign centers around four “rules” of consent and publicizes messages such as, “Nothing you’ve already done gives you permission to do the next thing,” and “True consent is especially difficult after a few shots of tequila,” she said. “Our [campaign] is more on the preventative side, trying to get people aware of what sexual assault actually is and how to help people that have gone through it and how to avoid it happening to you or to your friends or to anyone that you’re with. That’s why I was drawn to this angle,” Komos said. Senior Emily Hoffmann [Editor’s note: Hoffmann is a graphic designer for The Observer.] said she and her project partner, senior Eileen Murphy, wanted to target younger women who went to dorm parties. For their campaign, “Write It On the Wall,” they hung clear posters in the women’s restrooms of male dorms. The posters contained a statistic on sexual assault, a list of resources and an invitation to write on the poster with a Sharpie, starting a written dialogue about sexual assault. “The girl’s bathroom is kind of like that safe zone where it’s judgment-free, or it’s the place where you go if you’re in an uncomfortable situation or you just want to get away from the party or you actually have to go to the bathroom, and girls seem to always go in pairs,” Hoffmann said. “It seemed like a good avenue to start this forum about sexual assault.” Komos said in the days since their campaign began, images on the Tumblr page had been shared several times, and friends had asked her for stickers for themselves. She said she hoped the next phase of the project, which began Wednesday, would get the message to a younger audience. “We’re going to finish making the stickers,” Komos said. “I have a lot of friends who are RAs, and we’re going to take them to dorms and start putting them in dorm bathrooms to try to get the awareness more away from the over-21 crowd and more into the younger crowd that would also be susceptible to these decisions.” Hoffmann said when she and Murphy checked the dorm restrooms Monday, most of the posters had been taken down, but the ones that were still up showed that a dialogue had started. “We took pictures of them, two of them in particular,” Hoffmann said. “There were about 20 different stories about either sexual assault that had happened to these girls or sexual assaults that had happened to friends of whoever was writing. There were definitely 20 different handwritings on the posters, some of them in response to others.” “The most rewarding part was … some that said, ‘Thanks for doing this.’” Contact Emily McConville at [email protected]
Notre Dame will continue the suspension of in-person classes and extend online instruction until the conclusion of the academic semester, University President Fr. John Jenkins announced in an email to Notre Dame students and their parents Wednesday.This decision was informed by new recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to avoid gatherings of 50 or more individuals, as well as advice from local health officials and other University leaders, Jenkins said in the email.“I deeply regret having come to this conclusion, but it would be impractical and irresponsible to bring our students back to campus before the end of the semester,” Jenkins said in the email. “I urge faculty and students to do the very best they can through distance learning.”The University still intends to hold Commencement on May 17, “a date that is outside of the eight weeks covered by the CDC guidelines,” Jenkins said, though these plans may change over time.In a conversation with student government and class officers from the class of 2020, Jenkins explored alternative options for Commencement should the spread of COVID-19 and resulting heightened health and safety restrictions push the date back.“As I said to them, we hope to know more in the next two to four weeks, and, if we are not able to hold Commencement on May 17, we will explore with academic and student leaders the possibility of holding Commencement at another date later in the summer,” he said. “We will, of course, keep everyone informed.”Following the extended suspension of in-person classes, the University will pro-rate room and board charges for the spring semester to student accounts. Potential plans to help on-campus students retrieve their belongings from the dorms are still underway. The Office of Student Affairs will contact students once these plans are official, the email said.In a follow-up email sent to on-campus students, vice president for student affairs Erin Hoffmann Harding outlined the details of residence hall closures.The 253 students living in on-campus residences are now instructed to return to their permanent homes as quickly as possible, Hoffmann Harding said.“We want to avoid further travel restrictions that may impact your ability to reach home,” she said. “Residence hall rectors will work with University offices such as Notre Dame International and the Office of Student Enrichment to assist with departure. We know the group staying on campus has unique and challenging circumstances, so we will work with you individually.”Additionally, students are asked not to return to the residence halls until otherwise notified. The University will ship essential course materials, Hoffmann Harding said, and is starting to organize a move-out plan for the more than 6,400 students who have already traveled home.“Further details will be sent from the Office of Residential Life,” she said. “We will utilize CDC guidelines to design the move-out process. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we balance the safety of our staff on campus with the retrieval of students’ personal items.”A Division of Student Affairs newsletter detailing virtual support, resources, programs and extracurricular activities will be distributed to students shortly.“We want to connect with you, we are here to talk if you need it and we are open to ideas for how we can best support you from a distance,” Hoffmann Harding said in the email.Additional information for graduate and professional school students, as well as post-doctoral scholars, will be distributed by the relevant deans, Jenkins said in the email.“I thank our Notre Dame families for their patience and understanding as we address this issue and the scores of others that have emerged in the wake of this pandemic,” Jenkins said.Though Mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart is no longer open to the public, the Congregation of the Holy Cross will make daily Mass available via livestream Monday through Saturday and on Catholic TV on Sunday.“We in the Notre Dame community, along with nearly everyone around the world, are enduring a difficult, uncertain and anxious time,” Jenkins said. “I thank you for your patience and understanding as we sort through the many challenges and decisions that must be made. I know that, in addition to the many inconveniences of the current moment, many of you struggle with worries about the health and economic security of family and friends. Let us continue to strengthen one another by mutual support and prayer.”Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article used “refund” to describe the monetary compensation the University would provide to students, rather than the more accurate term “pro-rate.” The Observer regrets this error.Tags: CDC, commencement 2020, COVID-19, Erin Hoffmann Harding, Fr. John Jenkins, residence halls, Room and Board
74 Amega Street, Mount Gravatt East Qld 4122. Picture: Realestate.com.auA FIXER-UPPER south of Brisbane has already attracted attention – not because of its upgrade potential so much as the school zone it was in.The three bedroom, single bathroom, single car space home at 74 Amega Street, Mount Gravatt East, has just been listed by Coronis Coorparoo agent Solomon Michael. A good update would work wonders here. Some of the materials do date the property.He said there was “very high demand in Mount Gravatt East due to the proximity to the CBD and being in the Mansfield State High School catchment”.“Majority of it,” he said, was because of the school zone.“It is a very big selling point for homes within the catchment.” The independent public coeducational school has a strong academic record, in the past delivering more OP1s than most private schools.Mt Gravatt was classified as a high demand suburb by realestate.com.au with double (637) the Queensland average visits per property (307). Heaps of room out the back of the 670sq m block.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investorless than 1 hour ago Imagine what you could do with this. Just screaming for a new vanity, cupboard, shower enclosure and paint job. Homes in this area are popular with families and first home buyers.The median sale price for houses in Mt Gravatt East was $627,750 in the past 12 months, according to CoreLogic, with prices up 39.5 per cent in five years.Mr Michael said families and first home buyers were the main buyers, with fixer-uppers attracting very strong interest.The home was set to go under the hammer in a month – 5.30pm Friday October 27 – if not sold earlier.
Indianapolis, In. – Public Safety Telecommunications Week originated in California in 1981 and was nationally recognized by an act of the United States Congress in 1991. In Indiana, Public Safety Telecommunications Week has been recognized statewide since 1999, most commonly by a proclamation from Indiana’s Governor.Public Safety Telecommunications Week reminds all Hoosiers that the first step in receiving help is the initial call to 911 and hearing the voice of a local city, county, or state public safety dispatcher. These are the men and women that collect the initial information to pass along to law enforcement officers in the field. Often times they are able to give immediate lifesaving directions to the caller during medical emergencies or can be the calming voice to reassure the victim of a violent crime that help is on the way. And the service of a telecommunications operator extends well beyond taking calls from citizens as they are the lifeline to the police officer, deputy sheriff or state trooper out on patrol.In short, the telecommunications operator is the two-way lifeline link taking calls for service. Whether the call comes by phone from the public, or over a radio from a law enforcement professional, telecommunication operators are one of the most important and under-recognized components of public safety.Attached with this Indiana State Police Go. Delivery news release is a PDF copy of the proclamation issued by Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb recognizing April 8 – 14, 2018 as Public Safety Telecommunications Week.
– National Sports Commission to receive $185MBy Rawle ToneyMINISTER with responsibility for Finance, Juan Edghill, during the presentation of the country’s National Budget, highlighted that $805.3M will be allocated to sport in Guyana. Edghill told Parliament that the People’s Progressive Party/Civic Government’s vision for embracing diversity and exploring the talents of Guyanese has always been their focus, and as such, “$2.7B has been allocated for Culture, Youth and Sport, for which $805.3M is for sport.”The allocation represents one of the largest the sport sector in Guyana has seen in almost a decade.Edghill said as his government looks to revitalise the national sports programmes, while simultaneously reconfiguring how we undertake them in the context of the pandemic. “This year we are going to be undertaking initial work on mini sports stadiums – in Regions 2, 6 and 10, and the Guyana-China friendship park.”Edghill, who also serves as Minister of Public Works, said, “Additionally, $185M has been allocated for the National Sports Commission to accelerate works on the synthetic tracks in Regions 6 and 10, as well as the purchase of sports gear and ground enhancements.”Meanwhile, Speaking to Chronicle Sport on the sidelines of the Budget presentation, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Charles Ramson Jr, reasoned that while the budget is only for the next four months, everyone involved in sport should be excited, especially the people who are living in Regions 2, 6 and 10.In keeping with a promise made during his campaign, Head of State, President Dr Irfaan Ali, on Monday, had announced during a press conference, that the PPP/C Government will be building multipurpose sport facilities in Regions 2, 6 and 10.President Ali said the move comes as his administration looks to “continue to support the growth and development of our young people and our sportsmen and women and finding new talent, while supporting every region of our country.”According to President Ali, who dabbled in the sport of cricket, “These are some of the investment measures and policies that we will pursue in this emergency budget and in January, to bring relief, to create opportunities and to improve the welfare and wellbeing of all the people of our country.”Speaking on the President’s announcement, Ramson said the project can provide vast employment opportunities within the respective communities where the facilities will be constructed, while adding, “think procurement opportunities that are going to be created and just the overall economic activities in those regions as a result”.“We’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars, and potentially over a billion dollars on each one of those potentially. We’re still formulating the proposal at the moment so we’ll know exactly what will be allocated for each of those facilities.“But this will be one of the largest investments that will happen, or has happened in any region in the last five years and it’s going to be something that we all should be proud about,” Ramson said.The PPP/C Government in its manifesto also saud it will provide a special fund for upgrading of sports and cultural facilities, as well as build Sport Academies in all regions.Plans, according to the Manifesto, will be in place to provide incentive packages for businesses that provide sponsorships or employment opportunities for sportspersons.The Government also intends to upgrade the South Dakota Circuit, the country’s lone motor racing track, to international standards.