Congrès Mondial Acadien Finale on Sunday

first_imgTwo weeks of family reunions and cultural events of the CongrèsMondial Acadien will climax on Sunday, Aug. 15, with a mass inGrand Pré and a concert on Citadel Hill in Halifax. Nova Scotia’s Minister of Acadian Affairs is inviting all NovaScotians, especially Acadians, to the final events. “The Congrès is clearly the success that everyone hoped it wouldbe, and a triumph of organization, hospitality and enthusiasm,”said Chris d’Entremont. “The mass and the concert on Citadel Hillwill provide a fitting end to this wonderful event.” The mass will be celebrated by bishops from all over l’Acadie atthe pilgrimage site of Park Grand Pré. Mass will begin at 11:30a.m., with the official closing ceremonies following at about12:30 p.m. The concert at Citadel Hill will begin at 4 p.m., with thetelevised concert starting at 9 p.m., and will includeperformances by Zachary Richard, Wilfred LeBoutilier, EdithButler, Blou and Grand Dérangement. The final concert isscheduled to end at 11 p.m. “The Congrès mondial acadien is strengthening Acadian culture –and Nova Scotia’s culture — with every family encounter, everystory, every song, and it’s happening thousands of times everyday,” said Mr. d’Entremont. “Acadians are learning about theirfamilies and their shared history, and they’re having a wonderfultime doing so.” Six thousand people helped launch the Congrès mondial acadien ata ceremony in Church Point, on July 31. By the time the Congrèsends this Sunday, 2,000 activities will have taken place intraditional Acadian regions and in some predominately Englishspeaking areas throughout Nova Scotia. A parking and shuttle service will be available for thoseinterested in attending the festivities in Grand Pré. For a feeof $5 per person, participants s can park at one of five sites,and use a return shuttle to the Grand Pré site. Parking lots atthe Windsor Exhibition Grounds and Fort Edward Mall (Windsor),County Fair Mall and Walmart (New Minas), and Horton High School(Grenwich) will open at 7 a.m. For concert ticket information or further details on the Aug. 15events see the Congrès website at www.cma2004.com .last_img read more

Britain to send frigate to the Gulf in most serious naval deployment

The plan to base a Type-23 Frigate – and from the mid-2020s the next generation Type-31 – would likely see the whole ship’s company flown out to take over the vessel based in Bahrain.Routine maintenance of the ships would be carried out at the Mina Salman base, with the ship likely to remain in the region for about three years. The more comprehensive depth servicing every five to 10 years will be done in the UK.  Sea Ceptor provides a powerful shield against airborne threats, including hostile combat jets, helicopters and other missilesCredit:Jim Gibson RNR/Royal Navy Gavin Williamson has announced the move in a show of support for NatoCredit:Mark Thomas/Shutterstock Gavin Williamson has announced the move in a show of support for Nato Sea Ceptor provides a powerful shield against airborne threats, including hostile combat jets, helicopters and other missiles Britain has had a presence in the Gulf for decades, but the three-week sea passage to deploy and recover a ship meant there were long periods with no Royal Naval assets in the region. Smaller minehunter vessels have been based in the region for the last 10 years, but crews have deployed via Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships. The use of the new support base and a Type 23 frigate is a step change in naval capability.The Defence secretary also spoke of to the “increasing aggression and increasing assertiveness” of Russia. In 2010 the Royal Navy had to respond once to a Russian navy vessel approaching UK territorial waters. “Last year we had to respond 33 times”, he said. The UK is to send a frigate to be “an enduring presence” in the Gulf, in the most serious naval deployment to the region in more than 40 years, the Defence Secretary has announced in a show of support for Nato.A Royal Navy Type-23 Frigate will be based from the UK’s new £40 million National Support Facility at Mina Salman in Bahrain, unveiled by Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa and the Duke of York last month.Britain has not had a similar posture since 1971, when HMS Juffair in Bahrain was closed following the country’s declaration of independence.Speaking at the Sea Power conference at the Royal United Services Institute, Gavin Williamson warned “liberty, justice and tolerance are under attack from every angle” and Britain must work with allies to defend common interests. “NATO couldn’t be more relevant”, he said.He said that Britain will invest heavily in the Middle East and weave a web of partnerships with allies. A Navy spokesman told The Telegraph the Gulf “forward deployment shows the Royal Navy is going back to the principle of being a more reactive and more available force”.The maritime force will work under Operation KIPION as part of the UK’s support to the US-led coalition of maritime forces in the region. The enduring commitment demonstrates Britain’s ongoing commitment operationally and diplomatically in the region, naval sources told The Telegraph. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. read more